The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement heater cables for T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement heater cables for T5
    Posted: 07 Feb 11 at 12:53
I'm going round doing all the odd jobs on my T5 that have been annoying me and now onto the wonderful heater cable design.

My green heater cable (well blue, but with green clips) has broken and I need a replacement.  Do I get a replacement from VW or are there better designed ones out there?

thanks
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 11 at 14:50
There are two types of cable; one has a multi strand core and looks like this

The other type has a solid single 'wire' core and is less prone to kinking causing the the controls to stop working.

I don't know the part numbers  unfortunately, but if you are successful you can always add to the 'how to' post in the modifications section if you want...

1.9PD AXB 104PS T30 Kombi 2004, Reflex Silver
stalbansdragon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalbansdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 11 at 14:11
Got this and fitted it.  It was about £4.80 + vat from a main dealer...will post part number when back home in a few days.
portreathbeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portreathbeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 18:38
I had the same problem and ordered part number 7H2 819 837 C (solid core) it is red/blue, but seems to work. It is a little bit stiffer than the original. Here are a few pics of the original and the solid core one:

Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 12 at 23:46
handy too know
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
Stevo 9401 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevo 9401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 16 at 20:29
Just managed to get my broken cable out it is the same green clip one like yours, is there a correct way of replacing the new one I,e control knob first or fitting it onto the white plastic wheel thing under the dash first??? Many thanks Steve clark
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 16 at 06:25
Sorry, I can't help you with specific re-assembling instructions, but I wouldn't be surprised if an advanced search (with any date specified) turned up some useful info.  I know T5 heater cables have been mentioned on here several times.

I can give a hint for preventing these problems in the future:

NB  The following instructions will only make sense to someone who is familiar with an analogue clock face.

Always avoid going from the 12 o'clock direct to the 3 o'clock position (and vice versa) on the outlet dial (heater control).  It seems this is where kinking of the control cables happens.  So I go counter clock-wise from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock, then clockwise from 3 back to 6 then 9 then 12.
T5Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 18 at 15:37
Sorry that I am very late to this party. I have got the part mentioned in these posts, however When trying to fit it I have found that it appears to be about 2cm shorter than the non solid core and struggling to get it to fit.
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 20 at 09:07
@T5Kevin - did you get it working with that replacement cable? They looked around the same length when I checked, but I am finding the pulley at the back isnt being rotated 100% for front vents and I'm wondering if it's due to cable length.

If so then I have no idea what cable to go for. 7H2 819 837 C was the only solid core type when I asked to also look at 7H2 819 835 C which is for defroster flap it was still braided
DIZZYT5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIZZYT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 20 at 21:05
Hi all new to the t5 life and the forum, just attempted to change my control cable today but cant see or figure out how the tab/black clip end fastens back? I managed to flick the old one out but didnt think I would of had the issue getting it back in place, really wish I had taken a picture.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated been on it for a hour had to pack up i was getting frustrated lol 
 Post Reply Post Reply