Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > The Coachbuilt forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water ingress Autohomes Bedouin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water ingress Autohomes Bedouin
    Posted: 02 Feb 11 at 13:33
Anyone know this model, or similar and can offer any advice on water ingress? Viewing the vehicle from above the roof has bowed slightly over a large section so water cannot run off. Ceiling is spongy and sodden. read somewhere that these don't have wooden framing above? Could I prop up, reseal all externals and hope for the best? Or should I attempt to remove ceiling and work from the inside out? So it's an Autohomes Bedouin(similar to Highwayman), circa 1990-1991. Thank's in advance for any info, advice, help, links that might steer me in the right direction.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 11 at 17:32

I'm guessing the water enters from the roof seam joining the side, the most common place. No wooden panels sounds like tosh to me as the standard insulation board would not be structurally sound. I would work from the inside to see how bad it is, the soggy board will be fooked for a few feet in the surrounding area. Sounds daft but at first but I have heard of people fitting new wood then covering it with a false ceiling using the insulation boards..

luckily mine was only damp on the back

Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 11 at 19:05
Further investigation has revealed textured ceiling board, which is backed with a thin ply. This is bonded to a thick polystyrene sheet which i think is bonded to the outer aluminium skin. It is also stapled on joining edges to cross beams which look like 2x2's. They are like sponge!! She is knackered.  I think i'm on track with the interior work, but wondering now how best to seal up the roof again. Si-kaflex seeems very popular as a jointing sealant.
I've been reading up on "liquid roof" which I think is a liquid rubber paint that will form a completely waterproof membrane over the whole roof, like a giant condom.Smile Reckon i'll give that stuff a go.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 11 at 13:16
Is there a specific "brand" of wood i should be using for rebuilding my framework?? Also the ply sheets, would they be marine grade, or just cheapo 3mm??  I'm guessing the same rules apply to all wood frame vans so hoping someone who's rebuilt a gypsy or similar can comment. Cheers. Smile
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
thesheriff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesheriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 16:56
Similar build materials etc as Karmann Gipsy, lots of info on the Karmann Coachbuilt site,
Definitely use exterior grade water proof timbers for the frame work and exterior ply , varnishing over the top of the ply too. Single cab pick up Lastomer for a soft seal mastik and Single cab pick upflex for hard seal . Had my roof vinylled over top by sign people to be extra  sure.  Definitely look at the Karmann coachbuilts site long long photo rebuild threads, lots of help / mad folk who've done it before........

These were the French doors from the bathroom Smile

Good Luck
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 11 at 22:30
Cheers thesheriff. That's scary! I've moved on a little further. Now have ceiling boards off, all styrene sheeting is removed from outer ally skin as it was holding a lot of water. Heating and dehumidifier not even close to drying it. Now wood frame all exposed so can dry out, or get chopped out!! It's one step forwards and two back at the moment, but i'm liking itSmile  Yes will source the s.i.k.a. flex products. just got to find some 2 and 3 mil ply sheets.
Will check out the Karmann forum, cos useful info has proved very difficult to find. Cheers for now.
Syncro doka td
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
D&D View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
"deuce"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 11 at 16:43

you won't find a better restoration than this Thumbs Up

www.karmann-coachbuilts.com/restorations/chrismogs.htm

Carthago 32.1 T4 LWB
BY Golden Nut Winner
Chug & Tug Team Member
 Post Reply Post Reply