The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flashing red coolant light help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 11 at 14:23
Anyone know what the temp range is supposed to be when warm and what is too hot. I always thought 60-70C was OK but maybe different on the LT. I have another sensor that I can put in the fluid flow and monitor from the dash for a second opinion.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 11 at 17:06
Hi Icky,

Any idea how the system tells if the level is too high?

How many senders are there? I only know of the one on top of the tank - if theres more i need to check them because the one in the tank is fine...

My lights flashing too.....

Cheers,

Ringo

Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

The coolant light is a warning for more than one thing

It can mean there is a problem with the coolant pressure
It can mean the coolant is too hot
It can mean the level is too high or too low

A false reading could be caused by an airlock over one of the senders...
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 12:48
mine been flashing for years, I checked the coolant level at the time and as the running temperature seemed ok I let it go. 
'89 LT28 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick
'89 Yamaha YFU1W Pro-hauler Quad

terry bug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry bug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 11 at 19:04

Ok, mine's always flashing, has been since i changed the head, the needle sits under the red light and pushes just over when going up hills or under strain, but doesn't overheat, 

Germslayer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 11 at 20:07
I'm now releived after reading this. Mine was overheating but no flashing light. Changed the coolant, but couldn't get the thermostat out. Stopped overheating, then suddenly between Somerset & Devon last Friday light started flashing.
Limped back from Devon to Kent, thinking if i went too fast it would overheat even though the needle was fine.
Changed the thermostat yesterday, took it for a test drive & fine.
My ex took it this morning to go to Reading Fest got 5 miles from my house, light flashing & won't go off. He refused to go further & went to fest in his car!

I'll try the sensor. But looking at these looks like a general fault. My electrics are a bit tempremental. Although I think the viscous fan isn't working because I can never hear it?
2006 LT35 2.5TDi SWB
1999 Skoda Felicia (I love 'em!)
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 11:00
If you like I can check the resistance on my level sender (which works!) both full and empty so you can check if yours is significantly different before buying one? It is probably just a simple level switch with contacts closed when the level is OK - if so you could just bridge the two terminals on the wire to the sender. If the light then goes out then it's the sender at fault.

Edited by mat_the_cat - 05 Sep 11 at 11:01
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 11:58
The sender is two prongs of metal that make a connection when submersed in liquid.

Bridging the terminals didnt work for me!

Mines still an intermittent fault - only most of the time does the light flash!

I'd love to see a circuit schematic of the whole coolant sensor system so i could figure out the next stage of working this out.....

Cheers,

Ringo
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 12:46
Ah, right - in that case there is little to go wrong with the sender and the fault could lie with the electronics that measure the resistance of the coolant between the prongs. Interestingly, I forgot to reconnect the sender recently and had the light flash, although I had previously disconnected it whilst running with no effect. I guess the electronics ignore a brief open circuit in case the level changes when going over bumps etc.

The spare gauge I have incorporates some circuitry from memory - I'll have a look and see if the circuit design is obvious. I can understand some basic electronics so hope it's only fairly simple!
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
camperdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camperdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 11 at 15:25
mine occ flashes sometimes on start up....not for long and not all the time.
540 Bogmonster View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 Bogmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 12:40
I have a crafter and dealership had to do some work on it,
One being said water light.
Outcome - some sort of mod came be done, but it had already been done, so was it some recall ?Confused
Ended with a new header tank and sorted.Clap
Born to Ride.
Throttle hard and hold wide open.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 12:49
Mine started flashing a few months ago now , panicked at first but the temp didn't go up and the heater was still hot , I service it before our annual trip to Cornwall and replace the coolant ,and gave the system a good wash out , and still it flashed LOL
However I cleaned up the contacts on the header , still flashed Ouch
I cleaned up the earth that goes to the head and bingo .. no flashing
over 1k later and its still fine
Mines a 2.4 DW non turbo btw

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 15:43
Is there a sort of braided earth point on the head then Mark? Interesting.
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 22:30
Originally posted by ringonotts ringonotts wrote:

Is there a sort of braided earth point on the head then Mark? Interesting.

there is on the non turbo , just a male crimp bolted to the one of the rocker cover bolts

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Newty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 13 at 17:58
Mine flashes too sometimes but the needle never goes above half way. I had it all checked out and the mechanic just said it was fine. Old vehicle quirky bits and pieces!
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 13 at 15:49
I don't have an LT anymore and never did fix the flashing red light, but for piece of mind I checked the needle by measuring the temp at the thermostat housing. From there I just trusted the needle.

However I do know that there are two temperature sensors, the one on the side of the head does the needle and I'm pretty sure the one on the back of the head is the signal for the flashing light if it is over heating. So if you are desperate to stop the light from flashing try changing it, I would check the continuity on the wiring first.

Its not the gauge as I changed that and the relay plus the expansion tank sensor, the only thing I never changed was the sensor in the rear of the head and my money is on that.
Germslayer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 13 at 14:01
Before I sold it, I had to get the electrics redone for the MOT- caused by a leaky windscreen into the fuse box. £480 later the light no longer flashed! LOL
2006 LT35 2.5TDi SWB
1999 Skoda Felicia (I love 'em!)
mr sly View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr sly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 17:36
my light used to do the same turned out there was a frcture in the expansion tank that would weep where the bottle mounts to the radiator manged to get a nearly new one and i think its fixed
midget77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midget77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 16 at 03:15
Hi fellow temp light flashers,has any one experienced the temp light flashing after the computer has been changed,
does anyone know what is VW's answer for this problem
Michael
JohnnyRob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 16 at 21:21
Sounds like the earth?

Edited by JohnnyRob - 11 Jul 16 at 12:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12