The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to: AXD Manifold and Turbo Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 18 at 11:48
Mine is not a 4 Motion but the job does get easier the second time. Wink  I took the manifold and turbo off back in 2010 to cure an exhaust leak between the manifold and turbo and I swore I would never do it again!  The second time was a couple of years ago when (inevitably) the manifold finally cracked.  It was the same horrible job but with  the previous experience plus taking the rear engine mounting off it wasn't as bad.  The worst part by far was getting the turbo back in with the new manifold.  I think I've seen grinding mentioned on the Darkside Developements website for the AXE engines but I didn't need that with my Ebay manifold.  

It is a beast of a job though, and I've read that the 4 Motion is worse so well done! Smile  
2004 2.5 174
Gabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 02:58
Where did you see that post on Darkside Developements? I had to use the gasket upsidedown and through away the spacer. Just wanna see if they had a better solution.

Btw, how much Tourque you guys reckon for the four manifold screws on the iron cast manifold? The original had 30Nm I think. Sounds way too much for new bolds (6mm allen-key and they squeeze the gasket).

Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Mine is not a 4 Motion but the job does get easier the second time. Wink  I took the manifold and turbo off back in 2010 to cure an exhaust leak between the manifold and turbo and I swore I would never do it again!  The second time was a couple of years ago when (inevitably) the manifold finally cracked.  It was the same horrible job but with  the previous experience plus taking the rear engine mounting off it wasn't as bad.  The worst part by far was getting the turbo back in with the new manifold.  I think I've seen grinding mentioned on the Darkside Developements website for the AXE engines but I didn't need that with my Ebay manifold.  

It is a beast of a job though, and I've read that the 4 Motion is worse so well done! Smile  
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 18 at 08:44
It's on their website but it's quite vague, it says 'Please note fitment to the following will require slight modification as clearance between manifold and turbine housing is very tight VW Transporter T5 - AXE 174'

Can't help with the torque settings but 30Nm does sound a lot.  I only use a torque wrench on stretch bolts or large flat castings, for other things my arm just knows! Smile  

2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456