The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leaking AAZ rocker cover!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaking AAZ rocker cover!!
    Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 13:04
I keep having oil leaking from my rocker cover and no matter what i try it still leaks ! cover is good clearance between inlet manifold and rocker cover is tight ! taken a small amount off webs on inlet and a small amount off rocker to gain bit more clearance fitted new gasket and a bead of sealer still leaks !! done this now three time and it still ends up leaking ! is this a comman problem ? any cures ? Confused

aaz 1.9 td .

Edited by paulweld - 10 Dec 10 at 13:05
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 13:31
Aftermarket cylinder head? AMC? Topline?
paulweld View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 15:40
I cant answer that as i did not change over the engine but i dont think the head as been changed no labels/tags on the engine/cyl head ? i think i will have to remove inlet manifold and rocker cover i can the take a bit more off the centre webs ( leak was on the corner that as stopped so its tight in center and that was difficult in situ ! )and then do a dry fit etc see if i got clearance ! rocker cover is not tighting down correctly i think anyway ! have you had this problem in your work shop before then ?
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 16:43
Paul, i've had the same issue several times over. Just keeps weeping down the lower(turbo side) face, usually at the cam belt end. Tried no sealant, little sealant, fucking loads of sealant!  I think maybe you simply don't get the downforce from the three securing nuts. Tried extra washers too incase I was running out of threads before reaching torque.
the Jx had the old style metal bar with nuts along the rocker cover edges so easier to get a seal.

I have now paid out for a genuine VW gasket, which according to the parts bloke is a much softer rubber than the GSF item and might get a result with this. Will check tomorrow and see what's happening.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 17:57
Had the same problem I put it down to warped cover/cylinder head sorted it with Single cab pick upflex on the cover and the head with gasket in between left it 24hrs to go of it has never leaked ,but it will probably need a crow bar to remove it next time

Edit to say some one is playing with the swear filterConfused S IKAFLEX  not single cab pickupflex

Edited by light - 10 Dec 10 at 18:01
paulweld View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 22:17
Thanks guys i am not alone in this world then LOL yea let us know and maybe i will try vw gasket ! how much by the way ? i didnt use gsf but a local motor factors which use decent stuff have used them for years !
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 10 at 23:07
vw one was about £28 i think? Not cheap.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
paulweld View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 10 at 16:56
No not cheap at that price ! has your bus stopped leaking oil now ?
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 10 at 23:46
I've had it several times when they ahve had aftermarket cylinder heads.
It must be the threaded bosses on the cam bearing caps that are at the wrong height or something as the nuts bottom out before the cover is tight.
I take the threaded adapters out, get 2mm machined from them, re-tap them and bolt them down.
that usually cures it but before you do that check to see if it a aftermarket cylinder head.
paulweld View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 13:28
Thanks for info ! the aftermarket heads are there any marking etc to look for ? i have not seen a new cyl head aftermarket or vw one so no idea what to look for ! i will say that it looks like it is part of the engine and not been changed ! will the vw head have markings ? not looked for anything but will do now i have more info thanksWink
James Golding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Golding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 21 at 15:53
I am having the same issue at the moment. I have installed an AAZ engine and have has oil leaks the whole time. I have replaced the cam cover gasket several times using good quality gaskets some times with sealer and without but with no luck. I am also going to try a VW gasket to see if this makes a difference.

Other thoughts at this moment in time are trying to clamp the cover down even further or making some sort of clap that will push the edges down to seal?

Also thinking about it, this engine was never meant to be slanted this far over and when you compare it to the JX the cover has more nuts around the edge to hold it down, maybe this was designed like this because of this problem? 

If space permits me, I was considering welding a small baffle inside the rocker cover to let oil run past the joint on the inside - this is just a thought at the moment.
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 21 at 20:44
used some m10 washers to fix mine and it did genuine VW head on an AAZ 265000 miles,up to 260 it was spotless,changed the gasket and no difference,fitted washers 1000 miles later as it was making a mess on the drive,washed it and fixed

Italjohn View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 21 at 09:05
Mine seems to fixed with the waser trick as well
 Post Reply Post Reply