The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

diesel smell on startup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjohnson_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diesel smell on startup
    Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 00:12
bit worried about a diesel (exhaust) smell that we get in the van when first starting off.  Not sure if it gets less as the van warms up or if we just get used to it.  Really worried that our last fiesta had a similar smell and that turned out to be the injectors! 

Local garage took a quick look but couldn't identify what might be causing it.

Anyone else get this?  Anyone know what it might be or how to avoid it?

Also noticed puff of "smoke" come out from under the van after a short journey both in or van and from the van of a friend.  Not sure if thats reassuring (as its normal) or worrying (we've both got a problem)!  Think his is a 130 too.

CJ
ChrisJ : S. Yorks

96-99:'93 T4 LWB 2.4
01-03:LHD T4 California 2.5TDi 102+>~130
05/07-09/09 : T5 174 'velle Silver
7/10 - 2/14 T5 130 Tip SWB SE Black
2/14 - ? ... To*£@&o Custom 155 Tit Silver
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 00:18
could be as simple as just needing a new cabin filter (under the glovebox in the passenger footwell, or it could be a leaking manifold. If it is the latter then welcome the club!

Where is the smoke coming out from? Exhaust or do you have a aux heater fitted?

2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 00:20
Mine chokes me every morning......Buggered exhaust manifold
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
cjohnson_uk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjohnson_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 00:43
The smoke comes from the back of the front wheels, depending on the direction of the wind.  The smell is very similar to the auxiliary heater we had on our camper.

I'm guessing it might be manifold but its too late to start reading on here about that now and based on the tone I'm reading in to this it won't be good news.
C

simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 07:24
If yours is the Velle then its the heater thats underneath and is normal in cold weather, I think you can change the glow plug in it to improve things.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjohnson_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 09:36
It is the caravelle (not the california) and I did't think it had a heater, just the heat exchange from the engine cooling.  Of course I may be wrong...

Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 10:32
Sounds like the aux coolant heater, check if there is a sticker on the drivers door jamb somewhere with the details.

I get the same problem in my Kombi, though unless it's really cold I take the fuse out as the heater is only there to quicken the engine warm-up to improve the exhaust figures.

Prblem I see with my webasto is it runs all the time the temp is below 10c thus dragging down my mpg.
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjohnson_uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 12:03
Drivers door jamb just has tyre pressures and service reminder on it.  Nothing in the manuals. No additional heater controls on the dash, certainly not the auxiliary cabin heater controls we had in the California.

Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 14:18
No, you don't get any additional controls with the aux coolant heater.

Looking at mine the label is not on the jamb but on the door, quite low down below the latch.

You can also check by looking under the vehicle behind the front nearside wheel, if fitted you'll see a aluminium heat sheild.

Also, when it's running, such as in this cold weather you can often hear it for a few moments after you shut down.

But if you don't have one fitted your diesel smell problem is indeed a problem. Thumbs Down
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 14:26

Ouch

Edited by Berisford - 29 Nov 10 at 14:27
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 10 at 22:59
I get the exhaust smell every morning. Very annoying. Can't have fan on and therefore can't demist Angry. I was convinced this was because of a faulty exhaust manifold, so i took it a local independent who removed the manifold, inspected it and said that it was fine, however, the gasket was apparently blowing around the first cyclinder (near to the air filter box). He said there was soot all over the back of the engine and turbo. Problem is, despite the van driving better (except from cold where it is exceptionally underpowered as if someone has stolen my turbo and 3 of the five cylinders are doing noubt) I still get the exhaust smell into the cabin. I think for you it could be the gasket or manifold or perhaps a turbo crack? Does anyone know if a leaking turbo create an exhaust smell also??

Have you tried the old run the engine and with the bonnet up force the engine to stall by holding shut the valve on the EGR and look for a puff of black smoke. If so, points to an exhaust manifold leak I think. Does your van feel underpowered at all, even when warmed up. Any suspect hissing/fluttering sounds when accelerating?
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
Dabs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 18 at 00:52
Hi mate. Just wanted to ask you about the hissing/fluttering you mentioned. I had a leaking manifold a while ago, and knackered turbo seals, so I changed the turbo and surfaced the manifold. I now don’t get exhaust fumes in the cab at all, so am assuming the manifold is barely leaking if at all now. However, since I did the work, my van seems really underpowered like it’s not getting any turbo boost. Same symptoms when engine is cold through to hot. I’ve replaced the fuel filter, air filter and N75 valve. I can’t see any fault codes for the engine on the ECU. I’m guessing I messed something up when I did the work, but can’t think what it might be. I get a really strong turbo noise sometimes like a whooshing that cuts in and out but doesn’t seem to affect power. There is also a diesel smell from around the drivers side wheel arch, but crucially not much smell when I stand in front of the engine with the bonnet up and no smell in the cab. Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be going on would be much appreciated. Cheers.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 09:18
That's quite an old thread they may not be around any more.

It does sound like you have one of the large turbo/intercooler pipes pipes not clicked into place fully.  That will certainly cause hissing and poor performance.  So will a split intercooler.  Have a look through the radiator grille and check that the vertical straps on the intercooler haven't corroded through leading to the intercooler bulging up in the centre.

Make sure you haven't mixed up the small vaccum pipes on the N75.  

The diesel smell could be the diesel cooler, have a look underneath, it looks like a long thin radiator just about under the seat.  It should be bone dry.

You would expect to have have some engine codes if it is running that badly (although it's not guaranteed for every fault) perhaps your code reader isn't up to the job?  It might be worth getting someone local with registered VCDS to do a full scan (not just for engine codes but electrical systems as well).  

Let us know how you get on.   

Edited by T5 TDI - 11 Jun 18 at 09:20
2004 2.5 174
Dabs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 18 at 10:19
Cheers for your reply, I really appreciate it. So I just checked, and my intercooler return pipe, pre EGR wasn’t seated properly. I’ve popped it back together and back to full power. Brilliant. I’ve ordered VCDS so hopefully that will help in the future. I still need to look into the source of the smell. I’ll get back to you and let you know what happens. Thanks again mate.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 18 at 04:58
Always nice to read a good news story Thumbs Up
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 18 at 08:36
Good to hear it turned out ok.  There's nothing more disheartening than doing all that work and finding it's still not right.
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply