The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adding a turbo to the 2litre 4 pot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding a turbo to the 2litre 4 pot
    Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 14:48
I've been wondering about how to increase performance on long dual carriageway / motorway hill, and thought how about a low pressure turbo (such as the garret fitted to my saab 9000 2.o petrol.

(I notice my route to Hungary next year includes lot's of mountain motorway class roads, the current prospect of long motorway miles in 2nd or 3rd isn't appealing.... )

Now, don't laugh, but, what exactly would be involved in adding a turbo? 

Is it even possible?

Edited by 1day - 30 Sep 10 at 14:50
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 16:54
Anything's possible! But not easy - for a start the general rule for adding a turbo is to lower the compression ratio as the turbo will effectively increase it, with a low pressure turbo I'm not sure what you'd get away with. Also to go with the extra air you'd need to add extra fuel. Plus uprate the cooling system - some turbo engines  have extra oil jets to spray oil on the underside of the pistons to cool them. Probably more than a weekend's work!

I have an idea for a switchable supercharger (think Mad Max) and an LPG fuelling system...LPG has an octane rating of about 115 RON, so you could use the supercharger to increase the effective compression ratio without pinking when running on LPG (some Mercs have a supercharger with a clutch to disable it when idling I think), and then on petrol you would be on the standard compression ratio. You would need a good mappable ECU to control it, and again the question is would the engine stand up to the boost?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 16:25
I wouldn't bother, go for the option recommended by Jam-man.
2ltr montego turbo mated to a sherpa 5 speed box.
Low tech but proven technology and you can buy all the parts cheaply.

Adding extra stress to an engine which is already working hard is asking for problems.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 16:40
5 speed box..... droool Geek

Does the gear linkage etc pose an issue?
Moving to Team Talbot :O
The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 16:46
Christ! rarer than the LT!

Was the engine in anything else?
Moving to Team Talbot :O
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 17:16
All I know is what Jam-man said in previous posts, I'm sure he bought the donor vehicle for £200ish.
Gearbox wise, its from a sherpa, similar weight to an LT and built for a V8.
As to the engine, probably in other rovers of the same era.
Main advantage is that the electronics are fairly basic, and reliability/conversion should not be a problem. 170bhp though should make an LT actually go.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Post Reply Post Reply