Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vw t5 174bhp starting problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 12 at 13:09
Diesel in the sump oil = big end shells and cam followers f****d very shortly.

Diesel to be injected, oil for lubrication.

Just guessing about the shudder around the revs, this would be when the turbo would be providing max boost and if this is leaking then there would be more fuel to air that the correct mix? Shudder?
Something leaking and that would need sorted first!
JacobsOO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacobsOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 12 at 14:59
Hey guys, I am new, and i will introduce myself asap.

Just reading this tread, and i am also suffering the same issue with starting the engine, specially after standing still for more then couple off hours. today I installed and piece of see trough hose and an non return valve in the line from the diesel filter to the tandem pump.
During installation of the NRV (non return valve) I noticed that there was no diesel in the line and had to suck on the hose for a while to get a dirty taste.

I hope this will give me some indication of whats wrong with my 174 2004 T5. 
Ill keep this tread informed.

Regards Olaf Jacobs.Thumbs Up
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 12 at 15:38
Originally posted by JacobsOO JacobsOO wrote:

I  had to suck on the hose for a while to get a dirty taste.

oooof
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

SwindonT5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwindonT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 10:20
My 174 has just hit 99K miles and now has this problem

leave it overnight and takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking to start - then runs prefectly normal

and restarts fine during the day .

I did replace the fuel filter last year after I was loosing power and couldnt get over 60mph - fuel filter fixed all of that and it flies along now.

sounds like the NRV is the place to start?  any photos of what it looks like?

could I have stuffed the seals on the fule filter lines?  should I try reseating them?

Edited by SwindonT5 - 05 Feb 18 at 10:22
T5 173 Caravelle
D3 TDV6 Discovery
A6 Avant 2.0D
Polo 1.2 3CYL
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 15:25
Try parking overnight facing up a slope, and also another night facing down a slope.  If you get different results each night (ie starts well one way but not the other) have a search on here for possible causes (I'm sure there are some threads about it).
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 22:33
Before you do anything else just try and listen for the lift pump when you turn on the ignitiion. A pump that's not working will give starting problems, you can turn it on and off using vagcom to test.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
SwindonT5 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwindonT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 08:48
Cheers Festa- I think you are onto something here - I can hear a squelching sound, just now it did that twice then went quiet and started easily - does this sound like the cause?

So I am looking a changing the fuel pump from the tank?

Re VAG COM I have had the van for 8 years in May and have managed to avoid doing this

what the best way to get set up presumabley I just need a cable to connect my laptop and a cd?

Edited by SwindonT5 - 06 Feb 18 at 10:44
T5 173 Caravelle
D3 TDV6 Discovery
A6 Avant 2.0D
Polo 1.2 3CYL
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 18 at 22:24
Originally posted by SwindonT5 SwindonT5 wrote:

Cheers Festa- I think you are onto something here - I can hear a squelching sound, just now it did that twice then went quiet and started easily - does this sound like the cause?

So I am looking a changing the fuel pump from the tank?

Re VAG COM I have had the van for 8 years in May and have managed to avoid doing this

what the best way to get set up presumabley I just need a cable to connect my laptop and a cd?

Some of the cheap clone leads don't do all that the proper lead can do but then the proper lead is over £200. Updates are downloaded directly from rosstech.
If the motor is squelching that doesn't sound right and it could be the motor in the tank. The other way to test is to disconnect the feed pipe from the tank to the top of the fuel filter at the filter and use a measuring jug that most wives have in the dildo, use this to catch the fuel that may come out of the hose. If fuel comes out then the pump is working and if not then the pump is not pumping. PS stick the jug in the dishwasher before you get rumbled as it stinks of dieselSmile
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 08:35
Originally posted by festa festa wrote:

[QUOTE=SwindonT5]use a measuring jug that most wives have in the dildo, 
  Small typo there Festa.. Tongue

2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 12:46
Naah, just the swear filter in action :)   

A while back there was a whole lot of spammers trying to sell their k*i*t*c*h*e*n stuff on the brick yard, and the mods got sick of it so they added that word to the swear filter to change it to dildo.  It was funny at the time, especially when some of the (less intelligent) spammers couldn't figure what was happening to their posts and got all bent out of shape over their "ads" being trashed.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 13:58
Blimey, I should have known that after all these years.  I'm used to any French car you care to name being turned into 'French filth' but the dildos are a new one on me. LOL  Great way to deal with spammers/trolls though. Thumbs Up

Edited by T5 TDI - 07 Feb 18 at 13:59
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 19:20
hhmmmm How did that come from cupboard ...LOL

Edited by festa - 07 Feb 18 at 19:21
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 18 at 19:24
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

Naah, just the swear filter in action :)   

A while back there was a whole lot of spammers trying to sell their k*i*t*c*h*e*n stuff on the brick yard, and the mods got sick of it so they added that word to the swear filter to change it to dildo.  It was funny at the time, especially when some of the (less intelligent) spammers couldn't figure what was happening to their posts and got all bent out of shape over their "ads" being trashed.

Classic....that makes it even more funny
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12