The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting Windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting Windows
    Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 20:33
I have had to take out one of the windows on my van to repair the rust but i'm a bit unsure on how best to re-fit the window.  It's not the normal type as in like a windscreen rubber.  It has an outer rubber and then in the centre of that is a cut out for another harder piece of rubber which has a shape like a tear drop with wings.  Do I fit the outer rubber to the glass with the inner seal  fitted as well and then re-fit the window in the normal way with cord or do I put the main rubber around the window hole in the van, put the glass in to the rubber and then put the seal in?
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 21:17
The latter way - there is a special tool with a diamond shaped loop of wire at the end to do it, but you can get away with your fingers and lots of lubrication (washing up liquid).
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 21:20
Thanks, i'll have a go at fitting it tomorrow. Got a feeling that it's one of those jobs that sounds easier than it is!
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 10 at 21:26
Easier than a windscreen, that's a bloody tight fit!

Best of luck anyway, I don't find them too bad as it's easier to get the glass in that a one piece seal and the 'tear drop' strip just locks it all in place.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
 Post Reply Post Reply