Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front brakes for 2.6...very nearly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front brakes for 2.6...very nearly
    Posted: 07 Sep 10 at 13:03

Having identified the SA 2.6 front pad as LP 587 (Furd Sierra, Grandad, Escrot etc all the same) Then a little light switched on in my brain (somewhere) What else uses 5 x 112? Furd Grandad! This is the closest match I have found to the 2.6 vented disc (figures in brackets are VWSA)

Car: FORD GRANADA Mk III  (GAE, GGE) 2.9 i 4x4 05/1988 - 02/1993 145bhp 2933cc BRD BRE BRF
Brake Disc Type: Internally Vented
Diameter [mm]: 278 (276)
Brake Disc Thickness [mm]: 24.1 (22?) SA pad carrier has clearance for 27mm easy, should be ok as there's 60mm with the piston right back and the pads are 17.5mm each = 25mm disc max
Minimum Thickness [mm]: 22,2
Number of Holes: 5
Pitch Circle Ø [mm]: 112
Height [mm]: 53??? (50.3) see picture below for Furd disc,  44.5 + 6.5 = 51 doesn't it?
Hub Bore Ø [mm]: 63,6 (66 bore out on lathe to fit) the 150mm clearance diameter is the same as SA disc
Fitting Position: Front Axle

Edited by silverbullet - 16 Sep 10 at 15:03
Have I missed anything?
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 12:40
have you looked at sharan and t4 front disks??
 think sharan were 280mm and my t4 ones seem to measure  276mm

i know the t4 ones are about 4mm smaller than sharan ones
(bought n.o.s sharan ones and too big)  

i can give you all the info if you like??

Edited by T3ADICT - 16 Sep 10 at 12:41
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 13:56
Funnily enough I've just this minute been looking at a mate's T5 front calipers and they are the same design as the SA but look "one size bigger". T4 would make more sense as that's the petrol engine they used, near as dammit.
I know that the Sharan disc is the wrong one. Never though to look at the caliper on the Mrs' Sharan!
I'm 99% sure it's not a T4 caliper; all the info I've seen suggests that it's something Dagenham or Furd SA possibly as the pad is defo Uncle Henry as above.
Realized that I put up the pics of the SA caliper on 80-90, does anyone recognize these from another vehicle?

Edited by silverbullet - 16 Sep 10 at 15:20
Have I missed anything?
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 20:38
they look like mk3 granada calipers (non cossie) maybe Confused

we've owned lots of fords german/uk/oz/sa and a lot use the same caliper but with a different carrier, think the mk3 granny caliper=sierra xr4 caliper=xr8 caliper which was sa special edition
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 10 at 19:37
I'd agree with the ford-esqueness (what a word) of the caliper. The retaining clip looks identical to mid 80's xr3 and the like.
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 16 at 11:20
Well how's about this for a thread revival?

The long and short of it is that the above info was...

WRONG Embarrassed

Edited by silverbullet - 10 Jun 16 at 09:31
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 16 at 09:32
Good news is this Big smile

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t3-brakes/front-brakes/brake-disc-t3-south-africa-276mm-vented.html
Have I missed anything?
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 16 at 17:04
New discs arrived fro BW.

Bosch, Made in... China. Oh well, can't have everything. Look ok though.

Forgot to buy new pads Embarrassed
Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply