Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Cammy' JX! Do you know what I mean?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Cammy' JX! Do you know what I mean?
    Posted: 30 Aug 10 at 18:36

Well, got the Chappy Wagon through the MOT  - thanks to all who contributed advice to my welding question Big smile

Just spent a lovely weekend with the Family Chappy up at Talybont on Usk.  'Tis really a smashing spot.  Made our way home today in glorious sunshine Tongue.

So, not having a care in the world and nowt to occupy my mind, it wandered inevitably to the mechanical state of the Chappy Wagon, and in particular to the 'cammy' noise that seems to have appeared over the last few weeks.

First noticed it when we had a week in France with Jason and Mrs K. 

Nothing too alarming, after all, they're not renown for being quiet engine, but is does seem to have developed that distinctive cammy sound.  It's the sort of sound you hear shagged out astras and corsa make as they clatter by.

I'll schedule it for a checkup, but can't think what has caused it.  It's a 3 year old recon, that's been lavished with frequent oil and filter changes.

I guess it's just time to check those valve clearances - there are no nasty symptoms though.  Got a good soild idle, good power, no smoke etc

Any thoughts?   

Edited by Chappy - 30 Aug 10 at 19:19
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 10 at 19:00
ticking or heavy clicking? ticking would be tappets need re-doing heavy clicking abou 2-3krpm would be main bearing? does your bod come on?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 10 at 19:44
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

ticking or heavy clicking? ticking would be tappets need re-doing heavy clicking abou 2-3krpm would be main bearing? does your bod come on?

Ticking I'd say.  It's an '84 CS to JX conversion, so no BOD, but I've never had any probs with oil pressure, so don't think (HOPE Shocked!) it's the mains.   

Haven't changed anything on it recently, other than doing the exhaust manifold gaskets and renewing the silencer and tailpipe.

Weirdly enough, I was down in West Wales a week or so ago  - we had a week down at a static caravan we've got down on the coast.  I got up early before the Mrs and the nipper and sneaked off for a couple of hours fishing at high tide.

Went I started it up, it started on then nail as usual. But as I was idling along the track to the gates I gfot a really loud knock and lumpy running, accompanied by a smell of unburnt diesel, for about 3 seconds then it stopped and was fine. Hasn't happened since and I've done about 500 miles since then  Ermm .

Made me think it was a fuel/timing related issue maybe....

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 10 at 21:04
Def check the tappets, if they haven't been checked for 3 years then def scope for them being out now...
Hillshy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 22:52
Originally posted by monsho monsho wrote:

Def check the tappets, if they haven't been checked for 3 years then def scope for them being out now...

i'd agree with Monsho
1990 velle weekender(Hilli) AAZ

B5 Passat V6 TDI Tiptronic
A3 PD170 s-line soon to be sold asap bloody pd engines!
SUKI SJ410 on stilts
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 22:57
do yourself a favour chris.................

leave it till AFTER vanfest eh?WinkLOL
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 23:15

Hehe..... dunno what you mean... Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply