The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More fridge problems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More fridge problems.
    Posted: 29 Aug 10 at 19:58
OK so where did I go wrong?
When I bought our van at the tail end of last year various things needed recommissioning, the fridge included, so out it came, I read up on stuff, replaced the original 110 element with a new 240V item, cleaned out the burner box, checked on 12 and 240V before fitting it back in, all good, fitted, worked well on gas as well. ACE.At a weekend show earlier this year I couldn't get it to light, so gave up. With a 2 week holiday looming out it came a few weeks ago for a freshen up, no obvious issues, bench tested from a gas bottle with no problems, so refitted it, left it on 240V the night before departure and headed off to France, couldn't get it to light on gas again. I even took it out whilst on holiday to have a look, still couldn't see anything amiss. Why the hell won't it light? It was lighting perfectly on the bench 3 weeks ago.
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 10 at 11:45
Does the cooker work?

Are  the gas taps both switched on (yellow ones point up, red ones point across, in the direction of flow)?

There is apparently a filter in the gas line.  This sometimes gets blocked.  Also, rubbish from the tank sometimes comes up and blocks things?

Hope this helps.  If it worked on the bench, it is more likely to be the tank or piping.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 10 at 12:24
Sorry should have mentioned, cooker all working 100%, uncracked gas feed to fridge whilst away and gas definitely getting up to fridge. So no supply issues it would seem.
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 08:46
When you tried on the bench, what gas supply and regulator did you use?

The regulator on a Westy runs at higher pressure than UK supply - it might be supplying too much gas to light.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 18:45
Ooh good point, on the bench I ran from a small Camping Gaz bottle, the type I normally run my Weaco 3 way coolbox from. I wonder if the regulator on the van is screwed? It shouldn't be as it was new last year when I bought the van, also if it was fucked would the gas hob run OK?
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 20:20
If reg was shagged then you`d get no hob.

Pull fridge out again and use a 2 foot length of rubber gaspipe (low pressure stuff is fine) and connect it between the gas pipe inside the cupboard and the pipe on top of the fridge where you disconnected it from (remove the 90 degree elbow so you have the flared pipe end to push the hose over, 50 mBar is very low pressure, so it doesn`t blow off) then connect the 12V wiring plug back to connector that you undid at the back of the cupboard. Remove the tin cover over the flame chamber / gas jet area. You should now be able to fire the fridge up with it swivelled round in the van, so you can see what is going on with the flame etc. You should be able to see the difference in the flame when you turn the thermostat knob from low to high. Did this with mine after new jet fitted, just to make sure it was all working OK before putting it back in again. You can definitely see the flame boost up when adjusting the thermostat knob from low to high position.
Sunny Lancs
Beelzibus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzibus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 20:42
Basically that was my next plan, to plumb into the van as you say, bt with a three foot extension on the gas line so I could actually see the back of the fridge. I'll try that and let you know how I get on. BTW checked the reg on the Camping Gaz cylinder and it's 28mbar.
mlewi100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlewi100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 22:44
Is it the gas flow or the spark which causes no flame? Mine seems to have intermittent ignition problems and wondered if yours was the same. When pressing the button mostly the red light comes on and it ticks away and then lights, but at other times it does nothing. Not sure if it's the button end of the ignition end. Will let you know what I find out
The best things in life aren't things
 Post Reply Post Reply