The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting replacement Westfalia windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattjarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting replacement Westfalia windows
    Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 20:15
Fitted a replacement rear side window from Gunzl today, so thought I'd post this to help anyone else who has to do it, Total guesswork and there are almost certainly better ways, but worked well for us. Requires two people.

We levered up the seal on the outside ( gently as you don't want to damage the seal )  with a flat head screwdriver, then ran the screwdriver round the frame under the seal, adding wd40 in as a lubricant where the seal was lifted. Then push the window from inside, and again lever the seal up slightly on the outside at the spot where you're pushing from the inside, and the window should just start to pop out. You'll need to put a fair amount of pressure on it. The seal will most likely also come out of the window, if not just lift it out of the frame.

Fit the seal around the new window ( remembering to remove the plastic films protecting it first ), then wrap a piece of string right around inside the underneath of the seal, leaving the ends hanging out in the middle at the bottom. Put the window into the frame, matching the seal up at the bottom on the outside, and with the ends of string on the inside. While one person gently pushes on the window from outside, pull the string out round the frame which should lift the seal and window into place as you go.

Hope this helps someone.

DaveyP2004 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyP2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 10 at 17:09
Thanks for that I may need to do this at some point soon so useful info for me. Was the window you changed on the wardrobe side and if so was it possible to do with wardrobe in situ ?
Cheers,
Dave
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 10 at 18:00
Use a plastic covered washing line rather than string

Also a bit of waxoil around the frame and in the recess in the rubber not only protects it, but lubes it nicely as well..

I put mine in the wardrobe side after i had it paited, it went in with relative ease. I kept the washing line nice and long, and started by pushing the back edge of the window into the fram and pulled the line forward along the bottom and top whilst a mate kept the window pushed towards the rear of the van.... worked a treat

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
mattjarvis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattjarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 10 at 18:11
Was the other side to the wardrobe, but I don't see why you couldn't fit it with the wardrobe in place, all the pushing is from the outside when fitting the new one, and getting the old one out all you need to do is push in one corner from the inside, once that is out you can pull it out from the outside..
 Post Reply Post Reply