FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1.9td abl power?... tweaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9td abl power?... tweaks
    Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 09:11
Hi ive decatted and blanked the egr valve on my 99 1.9td, which has free'd it up and made it a little buzzier! 
After a week touring around Cornwall i did notice a lack of oomph!
Is there much else i can do without spending silly money on my engine and without overstraining it too much???
Can a slightly bigger turbo be retro fitted off anything else????Confused

Cheers - Nick

Edited by kens_soup - 06 Aug 10 at 09:13
dangerousdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 17:19
Intercooler,fitted a fiesta turbo one on mine in the normal place ontop of the engine,adjust the boost up a bit on the wastegate actuator
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 18:47
It's only worth fitting a bigger turbo when you are getting the most from the existing one. I've blanked the egr and cranked up the boost a little, i used to have a surge of power over 3k with a puff of black smoke, now it has power throughout the rev range with very little smoke.  The project power thread over on the pay per view forum has all you need to know. This basically amounts to, fit intercooler, fit boost gauge, turn up boost and fuel. There are some extras if you are taking it to the limits, but from what i gather 100 bhp is do-able quite cheaply and easily.

I am doing a 1z tdi conversion to mine as its a far better engine.

Mat
AggieT4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 10 at 22:33
Boost is factory set to 7-8 psi on the abl motor, its safe to run twice that boost but you will need more fuel to create it. On the fuel pump there is a fuel governing screw with a tamper proof device that needs removing before you can tweek the fuel input.Shorten the wastegate actuater arm to get the boost up before the gate opens. Recommend a boost gauge so you can see what your making.

If this site needs a how to on tuning the 1.9ABL motor then ask Baxter to PM me on the kerbside and i will return and do a comprehensive "how to" Wink
andrecrock View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 20:57
Originally posted by AggieT4 AggieT4 wrote:

Boost is factory set to 7-8 psi on the abl motor, its safe to run twice that boost but you will need more fuel to create it. On the fuel pump there is a fuel governing screw with a tamper proof device that needs removing before you can tweek the fuel input.Shorten the wastegate actuater arm to get the boost up before the gate opens. Recommend a boost gauge so you can see what your making.

If this site needs a how to on tuning the 1.9ABL motor then ask Baxter to PM me on the kerbside and i will return and do a comprehensive "how to" Wink

Newbie on the site, have been looking at the posts on how to get a bit more out of my 2000 t4. I got the egr blank't but no difference.Gone give the boost and more fuel a go next. Stupid question,,,,,, where do i fit the boost gauge? And also how do i know if my turbo is working effectively, i can here him sing but dont really feel that boost as i did on my 2010 caddy. 

thanks in advance, 
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 11 at 22:39
R enault espace fuel pump {much better than the AAZ pump and a lot cheaper to buy} and up the boost but make sure you get the pump of a non intercooled espace if you do not intend to fit a inter cooler as the pump off the inter cooled engine is fueled for 120 odd hp apposed to 90on the other pump
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 11 at 01:26
light .. has this pump been fitted to an aaz?? 
       am i right in thinking the aaz and abl are quite alike?
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 11 at 21:15
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

light .. has this pump been fitted to an aaz?? 
       am i right in thinking the aaz and abl are quite alike?
Yes I am running one on a aaz in a t4 ,and have fitted them to abl`s it is a nuts and bolts job on both ,the pump is basically the same as a vw gtd  i.e its got a proper lda and it is a big improvement over the aaz pump and far more tune able

But the pump of the inter cooled engine  really requires a a bigger turbo as the abl and the aaz`s are running close to there limits ,when producing enough boost [22psi+] to burn the fuel that the pump moves 
P.S I have used up to early 1998 pumps and they have all been one wire pumps ,no electronic advance control,or commencement of injection sensors 

Edited by light - 17 Sep 11 at 21:41
Malcs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 12 at 09:34
Just to dig up a really old post, am I right in thinking a 2.1 espace pump will bolt onto a 98 abl with no other modifications? Dont want to go for a full tdi convetsion just yet, as I quite like not having a ecu ect.. to worry about
1998 T4 1.9TD
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 12 at 11:33
T,he only mods you need are a few nuts and bolts (3) for the mounting on the front of the pump and a bit of fucking about swapping the immobiliser (drill out the shear bolts holding it on the fuel shut of solenoid) from the abl pump to the espace pump
You will need to increase the boost to burn the extra fuel,the difference in performance will be night and day
Malcs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 12 at 12:16
brilliant thanks for that, will now start looking out for a pump. Is there any adverse effect on the MPG?
1998 T4 1.9TD
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 12 at 20:43
Originally posted by Malcs Malcs wrote:

brilliant thanks for that, will now start looking out for a pump. Is there any adverse effect on the MPG?

If you drive it  the same way you do now the answer is no but if you use the extra 20 odd HP yes but you can still get 35-40 mpg on a run @70mph 

What you have to factor in is the fact you will have increased the power buy 30% ish  

Post Reply Post Reply