The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t4 syncro ??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 00:37
Originally posted by syncrodoug syncrodoug wrote:

It's rumoured that the front vent is for gearbox cooling!

I would agree. The syncro box holds very little oil compared with the 2WD because the bevel gears take up some space.
Here's a link to the Golf syncro which, as Simon says is very similar. Hope you can read German.
king.module View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king.module Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 08:16

read somewhere a while back that the steel wheels on the syncro are better than the standard steels that comes on the other T4s (thicker or better steel or something!!!) - anyone know if this is true??

and whilst I’m here.... what's the best cruising speed on a syncro - I heard (again!) that they don't like long fast journeys as the transmission fluid overheats... is this true (makes sense to me) if so what constitutes a long/fast journey for a syncro?
jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 12:16
I haven't heard anything about different steel wheels.
Mine, according to the PR nos is the higher ratio model.[DRH gearbox] It works out at 2700rpm @ 110km/hr. which is lower geared than my previous auto with EQG gearbox.[2600rpm @ 110km/hr.]
The max speed allowed in Aust is generally 110km/hr except in the Northern Territory where it is now 130km/hr.[it used to be unlimited]
Even when I visit our daughter in the NT, I still travel @ around 110km/hr.
I have no way of telling if the oil is overheating at these speeds but so far so good.
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 13:01
Originally posted by jets jets wrote:

Originally posted by syncrodoug syncrodoug wrote:

It's rumoured that the front vent is for gearbox cooling!

I would agree. The syncro box holds very little oil compared with the 2WD because the bevel gears take up some space.

Nnot true. The transfer case is an additional casing on the side of the gearbox, so it actually increases the oil capacity.
Dieseldeere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 23:00
Hi everybody. Nother newbie here.
Just a quick ?
What are these T4 Syncro"s worth.
Mine is a 2001, 76000mls f.s.h Tornado red ,lift up tailgate..... Oh and i have had it from new .1 owner.
Nothing runs like a Deere!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 23:03
i will give you ten bob and a copy of razzle (used) for it
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 23:08
Thanks a lot! Its not that bad. Its better than the transhite i had before it!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 23:27
LOL not really sure what they are worth as you dont tend to see that many for sale

try looking for a comparison on www.mobile.de and add a few quid as yours is rhd
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 23:37

Nnot true. The transfer case is an additional casing on the side of the gearbox, so it actually increases the oil capacity.
[/QUOTE]

Quote from ELSA WIN "gearbox and bevel box are filled together through the oil filler hole in the gearbox."
When I changed mine I can't remember a separate drain plug on the bevel box. This is confirmed by illustration 409-22 in ETKA that shows all the parts for the bevel gearbox, but no drain plug.
I can't remember how much oil was needed but surprisingly very little.
Just did some more digging & on illustration 409-17 it does indeed show a drain plug.
I changed mine a few years ago & I can't remember if I drained from this point as well.

Edited by jets - 08 Jan 11 at 00:57
snow_pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snow_pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 11 at 19:08
I saw this T4 syncro's on Ebay. 

I Dig it, below is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110625576998&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1367wt_1141

Below is my T4 syncro should be on the registered in a week or so cant wait to try it off road.

530f944f.jpg

snow_pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snow_pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 11 at 19:10
I saw a nice Red T4 Syncro's on Ebay for 3995quid.  

Below is my T4 syncro should be on the registered in a week or so cant wait to try it off road.

530f944f.jpg

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dieseldeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 11 at 17:57
Thanks Jason K, had alook at that german thing, not really sure who in the uk is gonna pay that sort of money for a T4!
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 11 at 19:15

Quote from ELSA WIN "gearbox and bevel box are filled together through the oil filler hole in the gearbox."

When I changed mine I can't remember a separate drain plug on the bevel box. This is confirmed by illustration 409-22 in ETKA that shows all the parts for the bevel gearbox, but no drain plug.

Just did some more digging & on illustration 409-17 it does indeed show a drain plug.

I changed mine a few years ago & I can't remember if I drained from this point as well.

I've never had the transfer box off the t4, but I know from all the other syncro and 4motions I've had in bits that there is an oilway between the gearbox and transfer box so they share the gear oil. Drain plug under the diff and the transfer box, because the oil return hole is a few inches from the bottom of the casing so you couldn't fully change the gear oil unless you drain the transfer case too.

I've only ever seen transfer cases with their own oil supply on early golf syncro's.

I'll take some pics to confirm next weekend when I'm replacing the inner cv boots, which have both split since I raised the suspension.

Edited by Phatty - 09 Jan 11 at 19:18
jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 11 at 21:55
Look forward to seeing your pictures.
BigPSyncro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPSyncro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 11 at 13:31
Sorry to hijack this string, but i'm after a T4 Syncro, the newer the better, not worried about any mods as long as it's mechanically sound, let me know if you guys now of any for sale!
jets View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 11 at 03:34
Originally posted by Phatty Phatty wrote:

I've never had the transfer box off the t4, but I know from all the other syncro and 4motions I've had in bits that there is an oilway between the gearbox and transfer box so they share the gear oil. Drain plug under the diff and the transfer box, because the oil return hole is a few inches from the bottom of the casing so you couldn't fully change the gear oil unless you drain the transfer case too.

I've only ever seen transfer cases with their own oil supply on early golf syncro's.

I'll take some pics to confirm next weekend when I'm replacing the inner cv boots, which have both split since I raised the suspension.

Just found in Elsawin that the oil capacity in my DRH is 2.7litre, slightly more than the 2WD boxes as you would expect. I still think that having 2 bevel gears spinning away would generate more heat than the 2WD box.

Edited by jets - 16 Feb 11 at 03:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12