Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" steelies on a 14"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" steelies on a 14"
    Posted: 25 Jul 10 at 20:18
is it possible or does the 16 have different/'higher' springs giving more room to play with ?

They are to go on an ex finish army 14" that appears to sit very high compared to other 14"'ers. Do you think maybe they were ordered with HD springs etc ?
ideas?
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Andi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 01:13
16 s had different rear suspension arm as far as I remember (it was a long time ago)

You can run Merc 15s with up to either 215/75/15 or 225/70/15 so I'm told, without changing anything. 
 I went for 195R15 and they've done me good if that's any help.....

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 07:11
Cheers chap.

Dont want to go wider than 195/205 TBH - aerodynamics of a house,4WD and small oil burner dont make for serious performance as it is!!!

Might stick to standard stinko rims and fit 205R14. Am a bit worried the 14" gearing wont cope.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

VilleP View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VilleP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 10 at 08:09
You can go to even 30" size tyre with 14" suspension.  As far i know there is no HD springs on exFinnish army vehicles. But vecihles are well serviced in army, there can be new springs etc.
spg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
ALIVE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 10 at 07:59
I have 235 75 15 Mud terrains on my 14 and no issues other than they did hit the rear on the front arch sometimes when pushed to the limit.
1985 Fischer converted Syncro now running on LPG (sometimes)

1965 Split Panel (in bits)
buspor63 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buspor63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 05:15
I use 225/60-16 on my 14, but then I just run up and down the highway.
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 10:44
Originally posted by buspor63 buspor63 wrote:

I use 225/60-16 on my 14, but then I just run up and down the highway.

you definately won't get any clearance issues with these even if you went offroad as they're a smaller rolling diameter (26.63") than the standard 205R14c (26.91")
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 20:57
16" had same springs as 14"
Dimensionally the same dampers, just valved differently to help with the extra rotating mass of the 16" wheel and tyre combo.
16" trailling arms are longer.
16" damper upper mounts at the rear are different.
16" gained it's extra ground clearance buy wheels/tyres alone, hence the hacked about wheel arches then covered up with plastic trims.
There are no HD factory syncro springs as far as I'm aware, open to be proved wrong, 2WD yes, syncro no.
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 10 at 21:41
running with 16" rims 29.5" tyres and 4.86 cwp`s front and rear and the gearing is too long really for the 2.1 i have. top gear is 21mph / 1000rpm if that helps atall.
 Post Reply Post Reply