The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fibre glassing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightSparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fibre glassing
    Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 18:32
Hiya good people!! Is there anyone out there that can point me to a thread or give advice on how to fibre glass my LT'S roof?? I have a nice 2nd hand Heki mini rooflight i wish to stick on the roof and i need to fill in those pesky areas where the roof channels dip down below the roof line! I have a thin piece of ply already cut out to mount the rooflight on and i just wanted to blend the roof into the rooflight, any good idea's anyone?? Also what fibreglass do i need, never done this before!
Should I cut the Blue wire or the Red wire???
blue_pig View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue_pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 10 at 21:40
my advice would be to use the glass just to seal the area - if you can, make panels up from your ply to fill where you've cut into the channels (you might be able to do it with aluminium mesh from a car shop). the glassing kits usually come with chopped strand mat, a tin of polyester resin and hardener - the chopped strand mat is ok as long as you like sanding to get it flush. make sure you sand down the area prior to applying the mat to ensure a good overlap bond to the roof. wear a mask and a couple of pairs of rubber gloves - polyester resin is evil stuf, and double gloving means if your hands get clagged up just whip off a pair and carry on. the neater you can fit the skylight and make tidy filler panels the fibreglassing would be heaps easier - a couple of layers of chopped strand should do it, then sand / filler the top and paint.
1990 LT35 high top LWB stealth windowed drawbridge doored
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 10 at 08:12
There's a thread in lt forum de on this topic but I can't find it.
As I recall plastic pieces were cut to the size of channels and pasted in with Single cab pick upbond to make a uniform ground.
Even drawings and sizes were given in this thread.
BrightSparks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightSparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 10 at 20:39
Thanks guys, i've had the rooflight for over 4 years but I was putting it off co's I didn't want to do a crap job!! I'll let you know if i'm feeling brave enough to cut a big hole in my van's roof??  
Should I cut the Blue wire or the Red wire???
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 19:33
If you just want to fit a rooflight another option is to use a 280 x 280 roof light as it is small enough to fit on one of the raised sections so no need for fibreglassing.  Just bought a second one to fit and only cost £30 new.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply