The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting Merc ML wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting Merc ML wheels
    Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 10:24
Am I right in thinking that to fit these wheels (17") I'm going to have to space them on the front only and will need longer than normal wheel bolts?

Assume they will fit on the back without problem with standard length studs and existing standard nuts?

Van has not been lowered.

Ta
Drop in late but show up early
Andi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 10:47
Pretty sure you're going to need extended studs < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">and spacers all round.  20mm spacer rings a bell for correcting the ET on ML wheels, but have a search, I'm sure its been covered.  
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 11:15
Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

I've already got a set of OZ wheels but they wont fit properly without extended studs and bolts as they need spacers as well.

I just thought I could get a cheap set of alloys that would bolt stright on ready for Bug Jam without much messing about but I might as well use the OZ wheels if I have to sort out the studs.

Andi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 11:47
The only alloys that I know of that don't need extended studs are the original VW Carat ones, which are cast in such a way that they go on the standard fittings.

Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 12:31
Looks like an order from Brickwerks is on the cards!

Anyone got an idea of how long it will take to fit the rear studs? Don't recall a timescale on the 'how to' article.

Chances are I'll do it under the supervision of my uncle at his garage so I've got air lines and every tool under the sun available, and help if I go wrong Wink.
Bertie blue bus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertie blue bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 17:44
i think that I am going to go the ML route, but 16's. would be handy to know exactly what spacers required and studs, and an idea of how long it takes. I'm sure Mr B sells all the necessary just need to know what to order.Embarrassed 
1985 T3 Holdsworth 1.9DG.

1989 2.1 MV Westfalia Hitop

axeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 17:56
Originally posted by Aspo13 Aspo13 wrote:

Looks like an order from Brickwerks is on the cards!

Anyone got an idea of how long it will take to fit the rear studs? Don't recall a timescale on the 'how to' article.

Chances are I'll do it under the supervision of my uncle at his garage so I've got air lines and every tool under the sun available, and help if I go wrong Wink.

undow the 46mm nut with the wheels on the ground,
jack up the back and put it on axil stands
remove the wheel
remove the 46mm nut compleatly
remove the drum
the hud with the 5 styds will be smiling at you.
just pull it towards you to remove it
place on a vice the hit the studs with a big hammer to remove them
line up the new studs, they should be pressed in with a hydrolic press but good strong blows with a club hammer will do it.
put it back together

about 45min per side. cheak all the rear breaks while your there.

neil
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 18:05
errrr I would not recommend hammering the longer studs in as you cannot be sure that they are lined up properly. Using a nut to "pull" them straight is a recipe for stretched threads and a new set of longer studs.
Put them in using a press, you're in Chesterfield, there's lost of small engineering firms about who'll have a press that can do this as well as lots of garages.
I have 16" MLs on my Syncro and did it this way - do it one, do it properly.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 10 at 20:55
for once i have to agree with the owner of triggers broomWink

dont bodge when it comes to fitting em.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 08:52
Like I said, I'll be doing it at my Uncle's garage so I'll use his press to do it properly. He's not in the habit of bodging anything and he definately wouldn't take kindly to me bashing bolts about with his tools!

45 minutes per side sounds good to me, I'll get some pic's up when I've finished.

I have chosen studs that are possibly a bit too long but the wheels I plan to fit have a cover that fits over the wheel nuts so it will cover up any excess thread. Besides if theres too much thread I can always remove some by trimming it down.

Mainly it was just in case I fit any different wheels if I change my mind!
Bits arrived from Brickwerks yesterday afternoon so I'm all set. Should be done on Monday.Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply