The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine hoist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine hoist
    Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 07:35
Anyone recommend a good engine hoist for changing my 2.4TD in a LT55 as not sure what reach I need and weight capacity.

Also any suggestions on an engine stand.

Thanks
TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 07:54
Hi Psion
As the engine has to be removed via the passenger doorway you need to measure the arm length from say 200mm from the side of the van ( outside ) to the centre point of the engine. You will find that most standard hoists do not have sufficient reach for an LT. As far as I am aware, all proper hoists will lift the LT engine ( 2.4TD ) with ease. You also have to remove the NSF wheel so that the Hoist trolley will slide under the van.
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 09:53
I've taken mine in and out of the driver's door.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 10:32
Ah, but is yours LHD?LOL
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 10:40
I advise via the passenger door ( RHD ) as the steering wheel would normally have to be removed for the other route.
Now't like damage limitation!!
Ayrshore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayrshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 10 at 13:22
No, and I didn't have to remove the steering wheel either.
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 10 at 07:28
OK thanks
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 10 at 22:53

Drivers side is easier as the engine is closer (it is not mounted in the middle of the van) and you don't need such a long boom. I bought a great hoist off ebay for the job. They are easy to spot as they have a reinforcing strip across the front and 6 wheels. They do it easily and it didn't cost much.

Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 11:44
Removing the steering wheel helps and IMO there is no other way I would do it I have had engine in and out of my truck at least 5 times various change etc lol aslo I was tought to do it this way by VW during my apprenticship! I agree with Jam Man (Soz Two Sheds we all have our own way am sure yours works well too) Removcing the steering wheel is a 2 minute job and depending on the manouverability of the crane you are using the Drivers door is much easier to take the engine out of than the passenger due to the length the crane boom wopuld need to be to get in enough to lift the motor in the first place.
Mission: extract as much power as possible out of the slowest diesel engine ever Produced!!
Benzsc1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benzsc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 11:44
BTW Jam man sounds like we have the same crane!! lol
Mission: extract as much power as possible out of the slowest diesel engine ever Produced!!
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 11:56
Hi Benzsc. Yep, sure does. It held the super heavy 3 litre Ford V6 for hours and hours through the drivers door while we were positioning it and making mounts, etc. And the old straight 6 VW lump came out that way too.
buz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 14:04

Took my engine out yesterday via the drivers door, I have a Clarke Strongarm and it wont reach from passenger side. I dont remove the steering wheel as the engine fits through easily If you use a lifting  strap around the engine rather than lifting eyes, It picks the engine up so that the block is pretty vertical

Edited by buz - 12 Jul 10 at 14:30
 Post Reply Post Reply