The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 tdi camper, going some funny colours!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 11 at 23:40
Good to see it done still trying to over come my fear of wires before i start on mine got a donor for the engine now  97 golf  with 91k  on it
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 11 at 18:48
Penbryns wiring guide over ont vwt4forum will make it a piece of piss for you mate as its golf based http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009 

Give me a nudge if you need any help mate.
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 11 at 17:39
Popped out the other night to take some pics

I sold my full width bed today and will more than likely be making a 3/4 to replace it, i reinsulated the drivers side rear panels, using expanding foam in all the sections and then fibreglass, and remade a plywood panel to be the rear of my units.
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 11 at 11:25
Originally posted by mallott mallott wrote:

Penbryns wiring guide over ont vwt4forum will make it a piece of piss for you mate as its golf based http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78009 

Give me a nudge if you need any help mate.
cheers ,read the guide ,it don look as daunting as i first thought but i will wait for the weather to warm up a bit before i start  ,i still have a couple of questions  where have you mounted the ecu and what have you used /done with the throttle pedal ,i was wondering if it is possible to use a 2.5 tdi pedal box and just swap the throttle pot over ?
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 11 at 20:11
Yes you can use the 2.5 pedal and there is a little bracket on the box to mount the pot, no need to swap the whole pedal box. I butchered the passat and t4 pedal to make a frankenpedal.
The ecu is on the bulkhead next to the heater fan intake, i drilled 4 holes and used rivnuts and ally bolts to hold it in place. The egr control valve is plugged in electrically but no air hoses attached, just so it 'thinks' it operating the egr.

I should really take some pics under the bonnet and stick em up here!Lamp
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 11 at 12:48
cossie intercooler

ecu location in engine bay

Leon seat on shortened base, i still need to move the base further forwards so the missus can drive it!

intercooler pipework
dangerousdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 11 at 20:26
Hello chaps,thought I would tag on the end of this post instead of starting a new one again.
Well my abl is still smoking and the gearbox is whining now too....
So just been out and bought a 1z engine and box from an N reg vento but all the wirings been chopped and I havn't got an ecu.
so can I fit the abl pump and turbo to the 1z (which injectors should I use)
and will the gearbox extension fit on to the box that came with the engine,or do I have to get my transporter box rebuilt.

cheers Brian

Edited by dangerousdog - 27 Apr 11 at 20:34
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 12:27
Hi Brian, the vento gearbox is only useful for the 5th gear swap. Depending on what is wrong with your van box, when is it whining? So firstly some diagnosis on that eh?

Have you checked the oil?
Does it whine in all gears? under load? on overrun? when the clutch is released?

With regards to the engine, it really is worth doing the full conversion. You can use the abl turbo and manifolds, you have to be sure it's not the turbo making the smoking first though!

I believe ozgti had a 1z engine with the abl pump on, you would have to use the 1z injectors (multi hole) as the abl ones (pintle) will not fit in the 1z head.

Mat
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 17:21
Cor glad your back !

gearbox makes horrible noise in neutral with clutch out,push and release clutch a few times and it shuts up(reckon its the input shaft)it whines in all gears,makes a noise going into 5th when its hot and going into 3rd when its hotter oh and it leaks from the clutch end...Seen 2nd hand boxs for £250ish on ebay but reckon I will take it for a £10 estimate on how much to fix it and fit the 5th out the 1z boz.

yeah reckon full convertion is the way to go as if I fit abl pump I will only get 68bhp maybe less ?

not sure whats up with engine now,Ive taken the rocker cover breather pipe off and its chuffing well,cant see any oil coming out so I put it under the van instead of into the air inlet..and thats stopped the smoke.Did drill a hole in the airbox under the filter but that still smoked.cant see it being pistons as the were fine about 5000 miles ago,maybe head gasket as I used the stretch bolts twice and think I skiped the last 90 degree angle tighten.

Best I get looking for a ecu and loom,do they have to be vento or will any 1Z parts do..Im hoping to try and get it connected up and try running it in the garage before fitting the van,as I dont want to end up tottally vanless with a work in progress job

Cheers
soon be a new van !
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 17:26
Cor glad your back !

gearbox makes horrible noise in neutral with clutch out,push and release clutch a few times and it shuts up(reckon its the input shaft)it whines in all gears,makes a noise going into 5th when its hot and going into 3rd when its hotter oh and it leaks from the clutch end...Seen 2nd hand boxs for £250ish on ebay but reckon I will take it for a £10 estimate on how much to fix it and fit the 5th out the 1z boz.

yeah reckon full convertion is the way to go as if I fit abl pump I will only get 68bhp maybe less ?

not sure whats up with engine now,Ive taken the rocker cover breather pipe off and its chuffing well,cant see any oil coming out so I put it under the van instead of into the air inlet..and thats stopped the smoke.Did drill a hole in the airbox under the filter but that still smoked.cant see it being pistons as the were fine about 5000 miles ago,maybe head gasket as I used the stretch bolts twice and think I skiped the last 90 degree angle tighten.

Best I get looking for a ecu and loom,do they have to be vento or will any 1Z parts do..Im hoping to try and get it connected up and try running it in the garage before fitting the van,as I dont want to end up tottally vanless with a work in progress job

Cheers
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 11 at 18:32
yeah Brian, any fwd 1z vehicle should do, if you read the wiring links i posted above to light that should help.

You will need the key (for the chip), ring around the ign barrel, and the rest of the engine loom, the immobiliser box and bit of wiring and the rest of the engine loom as well as throttle pot.

It can be a lot easier to start off with a complete donor car!
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 11 at 20:42
been slowly redoing the interior, sold the full width bed and will be making a new bed soon.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 11 at 19:01
Been pulling mine apart today,driveshafts gearbox,manifolds,turbo,power steering pump off.

Just checked pics see I gotta change alternator and bracket now too

Are you using the 1z water pump or changed to an abl one ?

and how does the big round electric plug above the gearbox come out (confused me) you might not have one with a differant loom

plenty of gung to come out my inlet ports too,might change the oil filter housing on mine to abl so the oil feed pipe will fit the turbo on abl manifolds

still a bit corcerned about getting my pump code and key all coded to the imobilizer box (I think the pump has a code)
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 11 at 18:10
water pump is the same for both, just the outlet needs changing over, best to put a new pump on now while it is easy to do.

The big round plug comes off by twisting the ribbed collar on the right hand side, it may be stiff now its all dry and crusty, bit of wd in there mate.

yeah change the oil filter housing if your using abl turbo.

pretty sure its only the immob, key and ecu that are matched, penbryn on t4forum would be the one to ask.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 21:06
Started mine this week..so far so good,my 1Z came out of a vento dunno why but the clutch fitted straight on the abl box and the gearbox support  and power steering bracket have bolted straight on with the abl bolts no need for retapping :-)
Using a second hand gearbox with 3 months warrenty as gearbox place wanted £750 to rebuild an abl one.
And learnt something new ! the pin at the other end to the clutch slave cylinder,on the release bearing arm is meant to have a plastic cap on it.....No wonder I had a rattle in neautral on the old box(pinched one of the spare vento box)

Edited by dangerousdog - 26 May 11 at 21:11
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 11 at 21:01
Finally changed my wheels, i've been running around on merc 16" steelies but i had another set painted in the garage waiting for tyres.

Well, today i got tyresBig smileBig smile

i've painted the rear bumper, and the rear door from the swage line down, one day when it's not windy i'll do some more!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerousdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 11 at 22:59
Hello mr mallott was looking at your intercooler pics earlier so I could do mine,I think from your alternater belt angle you have the belt going over the waterpump...mine goes under the waterpump which it always has done

not sure which way is correct now
soon be a new van !
mallott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mallott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 11 at 17:07
So i've been plodding away with the van, spilt some gearbox oil on the carpet in the backAngry so i had to rip out the carpet and cut out a section of flooring underneathClap

Over the last few days i've been getting a bit of paint on

Old english white on the bottom with primer on top, got some amazing runs in the lacquerEmbarrassed

never mind!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345