The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 08:46
I was thinking of doing the govenor mod of shimming the main spring, or alternatively pulling the govner out of an old perkins prima turbo pump I have kicking around.
The turbo is off the original idi engine so it is not a vnt my next disco transplant is an ALH so has a vnt, I am thinking of staying simple and using one of those bleed thingys from 3 barr racing ( I forget what there called) to contoll it.
any thoughts?
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 21:10

If your thinking of a bleed valve they wont control a vnt on a mechanical set up as they are designed to fool the ecu/boost sensor by bleeding of pressure for eg {turbo producing 1.5 bar boost ,bleed valve only allows 0.8 bar to sensor }In my opinion vnt turbos are best left to the electronic control of a ecu .As for the governor mod on the disco pump i have never done it myself  but know a few who have with good results / i have always used pug 405/306 pumps and the original tdi plunger /head /return springs/cam plate/and delivery valves fitted in the pug body that way you are keeping the the original fueling from the original pump as for the government and advance system it s always going to be a compromise as you are never going to match the refinement of a ecu but by keeping the camplate And the rest of the bits at least you have a matched set as the duration and lift of the cam plate+pump head diamiter determines the timing between the pilot injection and main injection on two stage injectors along with the delivery valves as they control the the pressure left in the lines post injection,which gives you the soft conbustion and not the di transit or perkins priema noise ,hope that makes some senseConfused  

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 10 at 21:20
governmentShocked is the spell check fucked
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 07:52

Got a prima lda, with a couple of washers on the main spring, on a disco pump. Revs past 5, dont know how far yet, thats probably for the brave. It`s blown via a vnt 15 on a very simple link. Vanes open at rest held by an expansion spring. Bike clutch cable on pump accelerator spindle link and then fixed  to actuator with double  the strength spring. The actuator is enclosed by an oval,( lets it work) on a pressure can that can reopen the vanes at anytime the boost needs reducing. The turbo can still boost quite high with the vanes open, so the pressure can operates at about 8 .psi to give a max boost of around 20 psi when the accelerator is floored and gives 10psi at 70

the last one
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 18:54
This is the vnt controll system that I was thinking of using
http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual Boost Controller.htm
looks pretty simple, though some have their doubts about it as it can potentialy go into a positve feedback boost loop and overide itself
anyone had any experience of using this?
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 10 at 22:29
nope have no experience with them first time ive seen them ,but if you can get a boost curve as flat as the one in the graph from a vnt its very interesting for such a simple device and for the cost it has to be worth a go  like they say sometimes the simple things are the best. I have made one of the linkage types as used by some on the vw gtd forum but it gave massive boost spikes ,as it was in a of roader4by4 it was useless{boost spike=wheel spin} and temperamental  and a twat to set up and make ,but the one above could not be simpler p.s if you do use one i would be very interested in the results
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123