The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Jumble > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted Catch for LT Westy Window Blind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted Catch for LT Westy Window Blind
    Posted: 03 May 10 at 21:08
Anybody know where I can get a fresh one of these?  Its from a 1989 LT Westfalia Florida but I'm guessing they must be used elsewhere,

'89 LT28 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick
'89 Yamaha YFU1W Pro-hauler Quad

busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 10 at 22:22
same as on our karmanns and we have been looking for these for 4 years, just about exhausted all searches and thinking of reproducing in this country

but if someone knows different we really want to know
66 joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 10 at 19:30
We need one of these too. It would save us having to use a hair bandErmm
T4 Westfalia Exclusive.Tdi LT work van..

illumini View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illumini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 10 at 21:22
AHA! A catch with a tooth still in tact!
I asked Peter Gunzl (www.vwbusshop.de) about these at last years Vanfest.
He laughed and described them as Hennezähne! (hens teeth)
I use my daughters hair bands (to her annoyance)
I considered drilling out the tooth stem and inserting bent wire as an alternative. Trouble is the plastics has gone brittle and wouldn't last.
As you have a full one in tact, i would suggest get a moulding of said item and replicate. I can image theres a few of us out here that would snap them up! (metaphorically speaking)
Good Luck
'92 LT28 FLORIDA.
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 10 at 21:57
are the LT ones always the grey colour, ours are brown

I have looked at having them reproduced but cant get them below about £10 for the full assembly
86ClubJoker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 22:43
Hair band here too Smile

I wonder if some cunning person will find a substitute that will swap in eaily for the old catch and do the same job.

Velcro would work somehow... what would be a neat way to do it?

Sooner or later, while Floridas stay on the road (who would scrap one??), it will be worth someone getting reproduction catches made. I'd be happy to hand over a tenner to make the old girl Florida right again.
freddies_dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddies_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 14 at 17:02
hey,

i know i am resurrecting an old thread but i have a westy James cook Klassick and i too have the same window clips. this of course means that not only are 3/4's of them broken but that i cant find any westy replacements!

one thing i have found is these -

http://www.amazon.de/Hartal-Ersatzverschluss-weiss-f%C3%BCr-Dachhaube/dp/B00FWL593A

they appear to be the same and whilst the colour is out (mine are grey) they may just stop me from having to use elastic bands!

i have got two on order ATM and i will let you know how i get on with them if anyone is interested.

cheers,

Freddies_dad

lambretta lee View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lambretta lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 14 at 17:21
Originally posted by freddies_dad freddies_dad wrote:

hey,

i know i am resurrecting an old thread but i have a westy James cook Klassick and i too have the same window clips. this of course means that not only are 3/4's of them broken but that i cant find any westy replacements!

one thing i have found is these -

http://www.amazon.de/Hartal-Ersatzverschluss-weiss-f%C3%BCr-Dachhaube/dp/B00FWL593A

they appear to be the same and whilst the colour is out (mine are grey) they may just stop me from having to use elastic bands!

i have got two on order ATM and i will let you know how i get on with them if anyone is interested.

cheers,

Freddies_dad
They look very similar ... Possible great find

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 14 at 19:02
Amazing find!

Please let us know if they fit.

John

freddies_dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddies_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 14 at 13:58
well they arrive and afetr some tweaking i got them fitted. they are not a perfect match but they are pretty damn close , what do you think?

that also means i have a couple of these free (and will have more when i replace the other 4 catches so they all match) so if any one is interested they are free to a good home!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ClubJoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 00:03
What a result! Looks great!

Did you replace both the upper and lower parts, and how did you attach them to the grey bars?

John
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 14 at 18:46
i forgot all about this post

i had the brown ones remanufactured because loads of our karmanns were missing them, i had the hook bits made thicker as that is the weak point but they still fit in the original bottom half  

if you require brown i have plenty £9.35 each inc post

if you want an exact colour match that could probably be done BUT it would require a minimum order of 200 just to make it worthwhile for the guy to buy the granules and run the machine 

hartal wouldnt supply direct to the uk consumer when we were looking a few years back Ouch

Edited by busbuddy - 03 Mar 14 at 18:59
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 15 at 16:37
One of mine broke at the weekend , don't suppose anyone has a spare ( in grey ) only need the part in freddies dad picture , the hook bit
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 14:52
I would like to purchase a couple for my Florida, is it a complete assembly, both sides?
'89 LT28 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick
'89 Yamaha YFU1W Pro-hauler Quad

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 15 at 18:04

You need to buy two - one for left and one for right hand side of the blind.

Each one comes in two pieces that lock together when the blind is closed.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
 Post Reply Post Reply