The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New driveshaft and stubshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New driveshaft and stubshaft
    Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 00:32
Finally got round to replacing the driveshaft and stubshaft today and it was lucky that I did, ther was a lot of slop in the splines and it is quite possible that a heavy right boot at the lights could have left me going home on the back of an AA truck.... If you can see pictures of driveshafts and things, then I have managed to upload some photos of the old and new parts, if not, then I'll do it after the bank holiday.

The job is quite straight forward and I did the job in two hours, bearing in mind that this is the first time I have done this job and we did have a cup of tea and a good look round some of the cars that will be racing at Oulton Park this week end...

Although I had the use of a ramp, the job could easily be done on the ground with a jack and axle stands...The first two photos are of the new driveshaft and the new stubshaft (In position in the gearbox) the second two are of what came off the van...
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 01:22
Please tell me you didn't buy a whole new driveshaft. Did you remember to pack the driveshaft end with grease?
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 10 at 01:31
Yeah, I bought the full shaft as time was more valuable than saving a few quid. I managed to get a ton knocked off the dealer price, so I was quite content with that and yes,, loads of grease.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 15:55
Nice post Mr T.  Thumbs Up  I might have to take mine off just to have a look if my nerves get the better of me.  No noises so far though... 
2004 2.5 174
ronnie12342003 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronnie12342003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 18:56
was it the o/side or n/side thanks
it was good while it lasted
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 20:12
Offside. Unless it's fucked, why bother. Trying to shove grease into a half worn shaft will do no good at all.
Martin 335d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 20:51
This is something I'm going to have to get round to, mine has a clunk and I hope it doesn't fail prematurely

How much is the driveshaft and stub shaft?
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 20:55
Originally posted by Martin 335d Martin 335d wrote:

hope it doesn't fail prematurely 

Oh it will. Probably at the haudagain roundabout at 5:15pm.LOL

Unless your CV joints are buggered, you won't need a complete driveshaft, just the collar at the end. Can't remember the cost though, phone TPS.

Edited by The Loon - 03 Apr 10 at 20:57
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 10 at 20:59

£400Cry

+FittingCryCry

+VATCryCryCry

Cost me £530 in totalCryCryCryCry

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Martin 335d View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin 335d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 10 at 09:04
£400, for a driveshaft and stubshaft, robbing gits.

I'll do it myself I'm not paying an extra £100 for someone to do a job I'll manage myself
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 10 at 21:35
Yep, it was the offside shaft. To replace, it is a piece of cake to do but you'll need a 30mm multisplined socket for the nut on the hub, which surprisingly was less of a fight to undo than I expected. You'll need a splined shaft (Can't remember the size) to loosen the bottom ball joint thingy, avoids having to split the ball joint and a ball joint splitter to split the track rod end... Undo the two 13mm bolts that hold the shaft bearing to the van and hey presto, though you may need to drift out the shaft from the hub.... remove the shaft and rest it on the ground ready for a bit of the old Basil Fawlties with a stick.. A good long 6mm allen key down the centre of the stub shaft to remove the allen screw. The stub shaft will almost remove itself as it is partially spring loaded, once the screw is out, gently pull the stub shaft out and throw it at any passing cat... reassemble using lots of grease between the stub shaft and the drive shaft... I used CV grease as I had a special delivery of free CV grease but apparently VW will sell you "Special grease" for about four quid..... 

Edited by The Transporter - 05 Apr 10 at 23:25
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 10 at 23:31

This is something I'm going to have to get round to, mine has a clunk and I hope it doesn't fail prematurely

Nurse it and Join the AA... I opted to swap the parts at a time of my choosing. And drove it to QR Sport in Tattenhall, I know the guys there and they very kindly let me use their facilities.... Far better than it breaking as I'm on my way to a job in the pouring rain. From the appearance I would say that it would have let me down before long..
Petec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 20 at 13:53
Hi. Do you lose gearbox oil when removing the stub axle. I know this is an old post but the only one I can find that’s useful
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 20 at 16:20
Yes.  You can limit the loss by lowering one side but if you haven't already done it in the past, it is worth changing the gearbox oil anyway.  
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 16:54
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

Finally got round to replacing the driveshaft and stubshaft today and it was lucky that I did, ther was a lot of slop in the splines and it is quite possible that a heavy right boot at the lights could have left me going home on the back of an AA truck.... If you can see pictures of driveshafts and things, then I have managed to upload some photos of the old and new parts, if not, then I'll do it after the bank holiday.

The job is quite straight forward and I did the job in two hours, bearing in mind that this is the first time I have done this job and we did have a cup of tea and a good look round some of the cars that will be racing at Oulton Park this week end...

Although I had the use of a ramp, the job could easily be done on the ground with a jack and axle stands...The first two photos are of the new driveshaft and the new stubshaft (In position in the gearbox) the second two are of what came off the van...

Excellent thanks :o)
Petec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 16:55
👍 Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply