The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1997 T4 Heater control problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 T4 Heater control problem
    Posted: 18 Mar 10 at 20:10
as per the norm, my heater control is bust!

i can get fan speed and direction ok but no actual heat control.

ive been looking for ages for a replacement unit but am unable to find one so i was wondering if anyone knows another way to fix it?

maybe a heater control off another car or can you retrofit the older style control easily enough

cheers

Dan
1997 LWB T4 1.9Td   
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 10 at 22:26
Dont fuck around Dan - buy new from VW. Only way to do it.
 Flip off front facia/surround and then undo the 4screws holding heater control panel in- chances are the arm is snapped on back.
  When you do it replace control cable aswell - no point replacing knobs for seized/sticky cable to fuck up your new knob!

control panel is  7D1 819 045 B  and £80 ish

cable/inner is   702 819 837 A  (RHD non AC model) and £6 ish

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 10 at 22:27
and as temp bodge - lift bonnet and look under header tank.

You can open/close the valve by moving it with your hand to set heat as temp measure.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

mortcars View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 10 at 07:53
Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

Dont fuck around Dan - buy new from VW. Only way to do it.
 Flip off front facia/surround and then undo the 4screws holding heater control panel in- chances are the arm is snapped on back.
  When you do it replace control cable aswell - no point replacing knobs for seized/sticky cable to fuck up your new knob!

control panel is  7D1 819 045 B  and £80 ish

cable/inner is   702 819 837 A  (RHD non AC model) and £6 ish

i went to my very helpfull local vw place and they wuoted me around 150 for ir! hense me looking for a second hand one but with those part numbers ill get a new one ordered today!

cheers bud

Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

and as temp bodge - lift bonnet and look under header tank.

You can open/close the valve by moving it with your hand to set heat as temp measure.

already done that :)
1997 LWB T4 1.9Td   
staffydog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staffydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 10 at 08:47
Mine was also broke when I bought the van,the ball shaped end that runs inside the spiral groove had snapped off .AllI did was drill a hole in the end of the arm and stuck the inside piece of a pop rivet in there to recreate the ball shape on the end with a bit of araldite.I oiled the cable at the same time and it has been fine since in fact it is probably stronger than a new one since the end is now steel not ali.The whole job took about 20 minutes.If you live nearby I will do it for you should be quicker 2nd time.Regards Brian.  
zippyngeorge View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyngeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 10 at 21:17
Cheers guys, got the same prob myself.....or had.....
Help me i'm a basket case!!!!
preston1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preston1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 10 at 21:00

Mine was broken on T4 iv just bought. Initially I was gutted driving it back and realising I had no control over the heat setting. Thought I was going to have to spend more money getting it fixed. Followed the advice on here instead and its now as good as new! Really easy to fix, thanks!

anden View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 10 at 21:49
mk4 6n polo ones fit and are well easy to come by in scrap yards, 

Paid £4 for mine, you just have to swap over your recirculation button and clip it onto the polo unit, jobs a good un
tewski8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tewski8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 10 at 11:38
E , you just stopped me freezing my nads off with that info.... ive been bleeding the system all morning after changing a hose , couldnt work out where air lock could be ...lovin your work
Thanks Doc, the electric shock did the trick . . .
travelsofpan View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travelsofpan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 11 at 06:56
mine is foooked aswell,i tried the drill out suggestion before i read this,but it snapped where pivots,will now try the mk4 polo suggestion.

cheeers boys
Good health and happy dubbing
jimibtherebelmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimibtherebelmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 15 at 09:03
Hello Elvis

Trying to find threads anywhere on how to replace the heater control Temp control cable. I can remove the heater control unit fine, but i can't locate the other end of the temp control cable? Any ideas on how do this?

Thanks in advance

Jim
T4Campervan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4Campervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 16 at 15:36
Has anyone found a replacement heater control panel please, mine is not repairable
Or_GazM View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Or_GazM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 16 at 17:56
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=751537

Been away for a couple of years.....seems the "language filter" still hasn't been fixed Thumbs Down

Edited by Or_GazM - 02 Mar 16 at 17:59
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 16 at 20:22
I'd Fuck off for another few years and check back in 2018!
Your luck may have changed by then.

I wouldn't hold your breath tho....
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Grantylad1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantylad1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 18 at 17:37
Hi,

What area do you live in?

We have a 1999 VW T4 1.9 TD SWB and we are having problems with our heater where it just blows hot air all the time but we don't know what needs fixing.

Is this something you could help with?

Thanks

Lisa
Grantylad
T4Campervan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4Campervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 18 at 17:54
Probably the 'arm' on the back of the panel.  I found my cable under the bonnet was rusted up so when the knob inside was turned the arm broke!
 Post Reply Post Reply