The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accelerator cable sticking....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accelerator cable sticking....
    Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 20:11
Dead Just attempted to travel the 10 miles to PZ, got a mile down the road and the accelerator jammed on full.....gnnnn

i'm now back home, and, i've searched the forum, looked at my manuals, and no joy.
i've removed the black 'case' and degreased everything inside to remove the gunk and crap, i'm not 100% sure if the pedal has any kind of spring loading, it does'nt look like it.
all the rubber bellows are buggered, and it seems the stick is on the cable itself.

i've had a browse around, and the only site i can find with cables is JK.
has anyone else bought a cable for a LHD Diesel before? JK list quite a few with different lengths, VagCat also has 2 different sized ones for a LHD diesel.

any ideas???

2001 Sprinter, like a LT35 with a decent engine!
boardmonkey View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 20:39
Hi,

Sorry not for a diesel. I replaced one on mine, and to be honest it was a pain in the pipe to do. Best thing is to get underneath the van and note exactly the routing the cable takes. My cable was encased in a casing and when I pulled it out the casing came with and I couldnt tell what routing it had taken..and unless it goes back the right way the bloody thing will come up short..!

Anyway too disconnect it from the pedal at the front is tricky as awkward to get too, get a good head torch so you can see what your doing..

good luck..!

'Nellie' 1.9DG WBX Holdsworth Hightop
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 21:07
Had the same problem on my 1.6TD, spent some time checking the cable route, greasing the pedal mech but no joy. Changed the cable and it is fine now, I assume the sleeve and cable were corroded or full of crud that did not want to shift regardless of loads of penetrating oil and continual movement by hand with the cable disconnected.

Zeb
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 21:38
I have LHD TD throttle cables in stock, just not on the webshop.
sales@brickwerks.co.uk with your name, address, phone number and I will invoice you.
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 21:59
mail sent, but, i'm not lucky enough to have a turbo on my engine, not sure if it will make a difference?
Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 23:26
My brother had somthing like that on his JX motor, turns out some bellend put a car pump on and didnt change the arm on top of the pump so this was fouling on the engine lid and getting stuck.
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 10 at 09:50
Managed to free the cable, it looks to have eaten it's way through the white plastic tubing at the very front of the bus (from the pedal box, it's teh 1st bit of covering)

Is this cable sheaf or conduit??
Any ideas???
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 18:21
outer sheath is 8mm id tube
I bought a 30m roll off ebay and made 10 x 3m lengths for sale but they have all gone now and I won't be doing it again soon
3m is longer than required, fit and cut to required length which is about 2.5m, exact length is given in vagcat, but often a little longer is good, especially on petrol rhd syncros
there should be a rubber concertina sleeve at front on rhd this is always shagged and is nla, but the rear boot that is still available for 2.1 cables can be adapted to do the job
the cable is teflon coated this breaks down over time, especially if the silly bit of rubber hose that joins it to the inner cable stop at the back on the chassis has perished and crud is getting in
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 18:26
Had another look today, needs replacing asap, unfortunatly, almost impossible to source in the UK at the moment, a friend has bought me one from the Fatherland, but, apart from swear words, neither of us can speak German, so instead of a Gaszug, we may get a ass plug........Disapprove
There are also 2 different lengths for a '82 LHD diesel which is nonsensical.....
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 18:34
there are two lengths because the gearbox changed, early upto chassis C 200000 have an 091 gearbox, after that they got the 091/1 box as fitted to the wbx, but obviously with diesel bellhousing and input shaft and gearing to suit engine
so what's the chassis number (the letter that isn't the H is what matters really if it's c or later then the cable is 251 721 555 S for lhd still available from VW about £20, will be on back order probably take a few days, but I think you'll find that's what Simon has in stock
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Hawklord View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawklord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 18:42
Yeah, i checked my local VW dealer 1st, my chassis is  C108*** and according to VW uses the early type cable which is obsolete.
The cable we ordered had a ref 251 721 555 K which i think is a misspelling, 3945mm long, which i'm hoping is the right length.
Does this gearbox change have any impact on future gearbox choice, or is it still pretty much interchangeable with the correct bellhousing?

Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 18:44
it should be 251 721 555 C which is obsolete, try classic parts
sportwomble View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportwomble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 10 at 11:22
had this!
Cable frays inside the sleeving, catches and the spring on the carb is not stong enough to pull it back.
gets worse in cold weather as any moisture in the cable freezes and expands the cable making it harder to move.
new cable im afraid
 Post Reply Post Reply