The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Key fob not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key fob not working
    Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 17:33
Pulled up in my driveway this afternoon and my key fob wasn't working, change the battery to check that and nothing. Been using the van all day and having to use the door lock is already driving me insane.

Found this link on the search (removal of drivers seat, pull up floor fix). 

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/wonky-locking_topic48819_page2.html?KW=key+fob

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen so quickly? this is the first fault that I have had with the central locking.

Thanks
Andy

2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 18:03
Hi Andy,

When you use the key to lock the van does it lock all the doors at once or do you have to lock them individually?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 20:38
It locks them all
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 21:07
I doubt if its that joint below the seat then

When I checked and reterminated mine as a precautionary measure the joint got seperated again by accident when I refitted the seat

This stopped the central locking from working at all, either with the key or remote

Once I reconnected the wires as before everything was fine

It is an easy thing to check though and would eliminate that straight away

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 22:09
Ok thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have a spare key so 1) I can't try that, and 2) I can't re-program the key using it. 

I seem to remember that you could re-program a key by turning on the ignition and holding down the key fob buttons on some cars, any ideas if this works on the T5 and if so what combination is needed.

thanks again.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 10 at 22:24

Try this link - courtesy of T5 TDI

If that dont work find someone with/buy VAG TACHO as it can be used to programme keys (it extracts the "secret" key code from the ECU which is required)

I have just purchased this exact one and can confirm it works with the T5 ECU

May be a daft question but I assume the LED on your remote illuminates when you press the fob?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 11:50
Hi ES, 

yes I can confirm the LED illuminates when pressed. Thanks for the link, I have tried the first part but don't have a second key - have tried locking the door with the door pin but guessing that doesn't have the same effect.  Not sure I want to try decoding the key fobs just yet. May try getting a key cut so I can try the method posted by T5TDI as it would be worthwhile having a spare. Just wondering if it may be the inconvenience module?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 12:05
Originally posted by Liquidfreak Liquidfreak wrote:

Hi ES, 

yes I can confirm the LED illuminates when pressed. Thanks for the link, I have tried the first part but don't have a second key - have tried locking the door with the door pin but guessing that doesn't have the same effect.  Not sure I want to try decoding the key fobs just yet. May try getting a key cut so I can try the method posted by T5TDI as it would be worthwhile having a spare. Just wondering if it may be the inconvenience module?

Could be the (inconvenienceLOL) module, but I would check/eliminate the "easy" things before looking at that

If you get a key cut bear in mind about the immobiliser transponder, it is explained well here

VAG TACHO can definately programme 1 key on its own (or more, it asks when you begin the process how many you need to programme), and I believe it can also pair up new remotes and immobiliser transponders to the vehicle although I havent tried this (yet, waiting for VAG COM to see whats happening/not happening before proceeding)

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 15:07
I'd defintely recommend getting a spare key(remote). 

If you only have one key and you lose it your van is STOPPED where it is.  As in totally unable to start the engine and drive away.  As in winch it onto a flattop truck and take it to the dealer and wait for a week or more for a new key (at great cost and inconvenience).  As in a total and utter PITA.

The security on these vans is that good.  IIRC some gurus can bypass the immobiliser, but said gurus are very thin on the ground.

You can buy the "button" half of the remote cheaply on ebay (get the correct frequency and part number), and you can buy the key blade half as well, but finding a source of transponders (immobiliser chips) that will work has proven very difficult for most people (but because yours is an older van it might be slightly easier for you).

For later model T5s the dealer is the only one that can code a new key to your car's ECU.
Crisp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 20 at 13:25
Might be useful.
I have a T5.1
I read and tried everything, spare key fob and Batteries etc.
Checked fuses.... Loom... Re syncing key fob...
But I noticed the radio stayed on after pulling keys out.
Turns out the ignition barrel was a bit sticky, and if I pushed it after taking the keys out it clicked and radio went off and key fob worked.
So some spray lubricant in there and it's all sorted.
The van was thinking the key was still in the ignition so the fob would not work.
Good to know.
Jp5037 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jp5037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 20 at 15:51
Hi all just had the same problem didn’t have Wd40 on me so thumped the cowling under the ignition barrel, hey presto it worked! Thanks to the above postSmile
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 20 at 01:49
Sometimes the problem is the plastic electronic switch thing on the other end of ignition shaft.  It is a easy & cheap part to replace (well, it was on my 2008 Octavia, which was intermittently thinking I had removed the ignition key because some of the contacts weren't working properly)
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 20 at 20:12
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Try this link - courtesy of T5 TDI

If that dont work find someone with/buy VAG TACHO as it can be used to programme keys (it extracts the "secret" key code from the ECU which is required)

I have just purchased this exact one and can confirm it works with the T5 ECU  
Please would you provide more information, on the Vag Tacho you bought?
Manufacturer name, and suppliers name would be a great help.

Unfortunately your link wouldn't work for me.

May be a daft question but I assume the LED on your remote illuminates when you press the fob?

Post Reply Post Reply