The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eberspacher install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam_seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eberspacher install
    Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 15:12
Hey guys, I reckon this must've been asked before however, I can't seem to find a thread about it so appoligies in advance if someone makes a liar outta me

Van is a T3 1.6td tintop

Gonna try and install my eber D2 this weekend and althouogh I have the all the manuals for it I have some questions that they don't cover

First off is the fuel line... three options here as I can make out
Option 1 is to install a T piece on the engine fuel line. Is there any drawbacks to this as it seems the simplest to do

Option 2 is to install a seperate line in the fuel line for the pump

Option 3 is to install a seperate tank, some people rekon they are runnin red diesel this way.  anyone know how this would affect the performance of the eber?

I don't have stainless steel exhaust/intake pipes for the eber. I was just gonna use some exhaust piping with plastic covering on it any opinions on this?  Obviously it's not just plastic piping tho.  Do these have to be a set length and do they have to be placed apart from each other?

I've heard this yolk is a noisy beast both the eber and the fuel pump.  Anybody any suggestions on where best to place these?

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 15:54
i`ve mounted mine under the seat where westfalia put the origonal heater ducting. i`d t in to fuel line if you can, keep exhaust exiting from underside ie sill area, best not sliding door side as you`ll fill the awning with smoke LOL. i`d not bother with seperate tank as they dont use a lot of fuel anyway and you allready have a tank complete with guage so i`d use that. max exh length 2m i belive.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 20:33
Originally posted by sam_seed sam_seed wrote:

First off is the fuel line... three options here as I can make out
Option 1 is to install a T piece on the engine fuel line. Is there any drawbacks to this as it seems the simplest to do

Option 2 is to install a seperate line in the fuel line for the pump

Option 3 is to install a seperate tank, some people rekon they are runnin red diesel this way.  anyone know how this would affect the performance of the eber?

Use a T piece and tap into the fuel return line at the tank.  There's a solid fuel return pipe that runs down the chassis, back to the fuel tank.  There's a short piece of flexi from the solid line to the actual tank.  Put the T piece in the middle of this flexi.
The fuel return point on the tank is low down, so you'll always have fuel there.
I spliced mine in there and it works great.  Also, as it's on the return line, you don't have to worry about any issues with the engine fuel pump or any wierd probs with pressure etc 

I don't have stainless steel exhaust/intake pipes for the eber. I was just gonna use some exhaust piping with plastic covering on it any opinions on this?  Obviously it's not just plastic piping tho.  Do these have to be a set length and do they have to be placed apart from each other?

The intake is foil covered cardboard normally, so you could use an equivalent type pipe I should think.

The exhaust is a stainless ribbed tube.  It gets REALLY FECKIN HOT!  So whatever you use needs to be totally non combustable.  I think plastic covered pipe would not be good here.

It helps to balance the intake and exhaust, but I didn't because of the way I installed it, and it still works a treat.  Balancing helps reduce noise though.

I've heard this yolk is a noisy beast both the eber and the fuel pump.  Anybody any suggestions on where best to place these?

Balancing the intake and exhaust is supposed to help reduce noise, and you can get a silencer for the exhaust too.  Have a look on ebay.

Mine's not balanced or silenced, so it can be a bit noisy outside, but you can't really hear it insode - which is where I am when it's on! Wink

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
sam_seed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam_seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 21:10

Cheers lads, Some interesting info there.  Chappy is your eber mounted inside or outside the van just wondering if that has any major bearing on the noise level.  Also when ye say balanced do ye mean same length of pipe for each??

I was thinking about  that fuel return pipe myself so cheers for the advice on that as far as the T piece goes does it have to be a non return or just a standard(if one exists)T piece.  Also - and sorry for being a pain but - is there any problems with cutting the fuel pipe and rejoining it goes...air bubbles or anything??

Ta lads
Gandalf View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 11:48
Sam,

Where dis you get the manuals?
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 15:24
I fitted a D2 in my mates van under the seat where you are talking about putting it. It will fit easily, and will work fine, BUT you`ll find it very noisy with it under there. I`d recommend looking to put it in the rear of the engine room, maybe in one of the boxes behind the rear lights, should be plenty room there, easy access to fuel and electrics, just need a longer trunk for the blown air.
Sunny Lancs
sam_seed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam_seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 10 at 17:16
Thanks Joker Club I will take a look about there tomorrow afternoon see if I can find a suitable spot.

Gandalf I was emailed the manuals from a member on here ,(Zebedee) very Kind of him too.
windysurfer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windysurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 13:59
I fitted mine under the rear seat and it is loud on startup but once up and running it's fine

It's plumbed in to the tank with a 'T' piece

Exhaust routed, now fitted with silencer

Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 16:12
For info.... plastic T piece available from B & Q, look in the section that has the rope, chain, bits of stuff, they have various plastic parts in packs hanging on hooks, including various sizes of T piece.
Sunny Lancs
sam_seed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam_seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 10 at 21:32
Thanks lads, some good info on here!  Very tidy looking install there windysurfer.  Nicec to see some snaps of where others have ebers fitted and good to know about the volume level from a back seat install
 Post Reply Post Reply