The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

diff lock chat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diff lock chat
    Posted: 17 Jan 10 at 23:43
ok. do i just rebuild the non locking diff or do i sort a part ex out on a locking unit.

being i`ve nicked the locking diff out of the doka for the 16 i`m now left with a non locking noisey diff and a doka syncro 2wd.

how important is the front locking diff. not having seriously off roaded the syncro i dont know how often its needed. have needed the rear locker a few times when its lifted a wheel but is having both really needed and when do you use the lockers. do you wait to get in trouble or do you try and preempt the need for them.

is it true that with the front locker in you cant steer.

cheers lee.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 08:39
Hi Lee,
Me personally... I'd get it rebuilt as a difflock diff.
I have used the front difflock in anger quite a few times now and it really depends on the terrain and your driving style as to how much you use it.
Unlike the rear difflock, I tend to only use the front difflock when I've attempted a climb and failed. Then I know that I'm going to need more grip and prepare the van to possibly take a slightly different line with the front difflock engaged.

Yes there is an element of truth regarding steering and the front difflock but there are very few times which you're using it that you need to steer anything more than half a turn of steering lock just to keep yourself on track. On the slipping stuff, there's enough slip to allow steering without problems. If you were to use it on tarmac/concrete then yes, you can't steer but why would you...

Aidan can take care of the necesary machining and usually supply the right parts to convert your existing diff. All front diffs come with the casting for the difflock parts so can be converted.

MG
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 10 at 21:40
thanks mike i`ve spoken with aiden a while back and he could sort a swop from non lock to locking no probs just got to decide if i need it.Thumbs Up
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 11:11
If you're looking to sell it, then it's definately a selling plus, if you're looking to offroad it... i.e. if it's a bit tatty and you'd rather push that than the 16 (as you've spent loads on it) then you're more likely to need it.

MG
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 22:07
mike you must of read my mind. thats exactly what i was hoping to do. the 16 is starting to hold too much money and time to take risks off road with it. " surprised you dont feel the same LOL " and the doka will be ideal as the body is messy so a few knocks wont be the end of the world.
can`t see me swapping the diffs back over so the 16 will be keeping both lockers. doka is heading in to work this week so will get a chance to see what it needs for mot.
axeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 15:06
i am of the opinon that a front locker will make the all the difference of road. it has cirtianly got me out of the shit many times, i dont tend to engage it unless i have to, normaly when having a second go at something, but that is probobly my inexperience.  i only have one van that gets used for everything. work, daily transport, and fun. luckaly it was a uk van so come with both,i have been told  all rhd uk syncros came with both lockers. if i only had a rear locker it would cirtianly be on my list of thing to add. how ever it is pritty rare that you will ever get so stuck that you are not gona be able to get home (so stuck that you have abanden the van) and even then is a front locker realy gona get you out?
neil
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 15:25
This...

Was only do-able with the front and rear difflock engaged. I had tried twice already without the front difflock and didn't make it.

MG
axeman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 16:06
was there any cost/damage while you were doing that it looks very impresiveSmile

neil
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 16:38
The first day of the event, I got up that step without a hitch, a squirt of throttle and the rear difflock made sure of that (have a look at the vid at the top of page 20 of the Limey thread ) but by the 2nd day, it was a lot more cut up and the step was much higher. You can see by the amount of mud on top of the deform panel that the step was actually higher than the deform panel and the only way to get up was to drive at it!

On the last attempt, I caught the left hand side a little, took the indicator lense with it. Otherwise it was ok.

MG

Edited by Ghia - 20 Jan 10 at 16:39
 Post Reply Post Reply