The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

import tax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: import tax
    Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 21:28
just spent 1/2 hour trudging through pages of government bull and still non the wiser.

can someone please tell me what is required when buying an £90 product of e.bay seller based in guernsey. do i have to add anything to the advertised price.

thanks lee.
steve padda View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve padda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 21:40
Hi Bud
Just buy it and pay for it to be posted as per normal, and if it gets stopped by customs I think the carrier pays the customs charge on the item and then collects it from your good self on delivery of item to your address.
This is my take on it Iam sure some one will be along to correct it if not right.

steve

Big smile
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 21:54
Originally posted by stevemadbiker stevemadbiker wrote:

Hi Bud
Just buy it and pay for it to be posted as per normal, and if it gets stopped by customs I think the carrier pays the customs charge on the item and then collects it from your good self on delivery of item to your address.
This is my take on it Iam sure some one will be along to correct it if not right.

steve

Big smile

and charges you for the priveledge.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 21:59
yes. but how much. item will not be cheap if considerable extra charges on top.

cheers lee.
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 22:07
as I understand it, you only pay the VAT which is 17.5%.
And then only if its a new item.

there are no customs charges for Jersey and Guernsey.

is there nothing on HMRC site?

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 22:09

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

If you buy goods online from Jersey or Guernsey

• Customs duty will not be charged.
  • Import VAT is charged if the value of the goods is £18 and over.
  • Many Channel Islands companies are part of a ‘VAT pre-payment’ scheme. This means you will be asked to pay import VAT if the value of the goods is over £18 at the time you pay for the goods. In this case you will not have to pay any additional costs when you receive your goods.
  • Excise Duty will be charged for some goods, for example alcohol and tobacco.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 10 at 22:15
michael. thanks very much. just what i wanted to hear.Thumbs Up

lee.
 Post Reply Post Reply