The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

compromised syncro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compromised syncro
    Posted: 01 Jan 10 at 20:55
ok  off road guys i`d value your opinions.

1... i`ve bought a westy high top for the 16" westy pop top. i`d like to take mandy and the kids camping in cold winter weather without complaints. we also do a lot of wild camping and putting the pop top up and the thermo wrap is a pain for a quick overnighter especially when its pissing it down. so a high top would solve these problems.
thing is i`d need to lower the suspension back to std to get a high top in the garage at home also i`m wondering whether a high top would be a pain if green laning.

2... the waste water tank and exterior gas tank are off atm and i`m running an internal gas bottle. we need all the space inside we can get so i was planning on fitting both the tanks back under the van but this is going to compramise ground clearance again.

i feel like i have to decide whether i want a 4wd camper or a pucker offroader. obviously wanting to have and eat the cake i`m torn.

where to make the compromises. i cant decide. what ya think.

lee.
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 16:12
Lee,
I know exactly where you're coming from.

When I was looking to convert Limey to Westfalia, I was also torn between High top and Pop top. Even now there are times when I wish I had fitted a High top. Just under a month ago, my partner and I decided to go off to Cornwall for a long weekend driving around Boscastle etc (you'll see pics on the Limey thread).
The first night on the (very lonely) campsite was the only night when I put the roof up. We were both woken up at about 4:30am due to the wind and rain hammering on the side of the van/roof. It was getting too much and I had to bring the roof down for fear of damage. Not nice! If I had a high top, it wouldn't have been a problem.

There aren't many times when I've thought this but it has happened.
For me, the pop top wins hands down as I use the van everyday, still (barely just) manage to get into carparks which have a max height of 2.1 meters and the van rolls enough around corners for me to feel sea sick. The High top is heavier and worse in the wind, oh and car parks are a problem.

That said, I'm looking to get my Single cab on the road soon and once that happens, Limey will have a rest and become the camper/syncro for going away in rather than bashing about. When this does happen, the bodywork will get done and it's serious offroading days will be limited (not over though).

Re under slung tanks... I decided to not fit them on Limey for the same reasons and I don't see how anyone could go even slightly offroad with a gas tank hanging under the van. The waste tank I've never had and don't want. We don't use much water and what goes out is only from washing up. Plus, the waste water tank is very small from memory only holds about 1/3rd of the capacity of the fresh water tank. If you want to have a waste tank, you could buy one which sits on the floor and just attach a pipe to the outlet.

Re-green laning and high tops. I guess it depends on how much you want to keep your roof scratch/dent free. They're fairly hardy and take a lot to damage. That said, I remember cutting a lot of branches down for Simon when last out with CJ in Devon (which he thanked me for).

It's a balancing act and I think you have to look at what you plan on using the van for and build it to suit your own personal needs.

At present, Limey looking bruised and battered, with a pop-top suits our needs but once he gets a coat of paint, we'll see...

MG
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 17:37

I think as Mike says it really does depend onwhat the main use is going to be. Mine is a camper first and off roader second. I dont do anything as mad as Mike in mine, but am happy to have and use the 4x4 when wild camping etc. I can understand your point ref the high top but the pop top works for me with the ski box, and a couple of kyaks its high enough!

I fitted a gas tank to mine, and certainly for me it doesn't sit too low. For me, with young kids on board id rather they slept with the gas tank outside rather than inside. Here are some pics to show the ground clearance (yes i have got big 16" wheels/tyres), i have not had any issues with the tank grounding out etc.

The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 10 at 18:41
mike and cliffbase , i guess great minds think alike. the 16 with me will always be a rough it go most places camping van so the high top will suit it better for my needs but untill i get my other syncro doka up and usable for a bit of fun off roading i`ll keep it as it is so at least i can use it off road a bit safely. thanks for the input, you know what it like you have all these ideas going around in your head sometimes you just need to share them with people who are thinking the same.

cheers lee.
taigagreen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 10 at 13:42

Well I'm happy with my hightop! It's a bit top heavy compared to a standard syncro, but it'll never see serious offroading and I even like the look of it. You will need additional insulation for serious winter use though. Or some top quality sleeping bags :D The eber will keep it nice and comfy down to -10C, remember to get the insulation mats for the cabin area windows. Camping in low temperature will also generate more condensation on untreated metal surfaces, so ripping out interior and completely redoing the soundproofing/insulation is a good idea.

Ready for camping. Today we have -11C

Tage is my name :D
Too many T3's...
 Post Reply Post Reply