The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oil: 506.01 v 507.00  once and for all... I hope!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil: 506.01 v 507.00 once and for all... I hope!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 17:52
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

I have a simple, non-technical explanation for why VW insist on using 506.01 for the early build R5 (and V10) engines - they can't be bothered doing the testing need to see if 507.00 is OK for an engine they no longer build and that is now "old" and out of warranty. 

They know 506.01 is OK and that some other oils weren't good enough, so the easy solution is to just tell everyone they MUST use 506.01 in these engines (which seemed to have earnt a reputation for poor hardening on the cams and followers)

You're probably spot on, however with the cams as far as i can see this doesn't seem to have been an issue outside the early vans up to mid 2004 at the latest, it doesnt seem to be something that had changed in jan 2006
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 19:35
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

I have a simple, non-technical explanation for why VW insist on using 506.01 for the early build R5 (and V10) engines - they can't be bothered doing the testing need to see if 507.00 is OK for an engine they no longer build and that is now "old" and out of warranty. 

They know 506.01 is OK and that some other oils weren't good enough, so the easy solution is to just tell everyone they MUST use 506.01 in these engines (which seemed to have earnt a reputation for poor hardening on the cams and followers)

I would guess your non technical theory is correct GregBig smile

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
fantasam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 10 at 21:50
Once had the pleasure of a visit to the Castrol labs (to look at their lifting equipment) It was a fascinating place with all sorts of engines either being tested or being stripped down to assess wear after being tested, together with facilities for analysing the oil that had been used in the tests. 

They also have a chamber with controlled atmosphere so that they can simulate all types of climatic conditions including sub-zero temperatures. I would imagine that such testing isn't cheap.
Man of few words, many farts
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 09:26
Originally posted by fantasam fantasam wrote:

Once had the pleasure of a visit to the Castrol labs (to look at their lifting equipment) It was a fascinating place with all sorts of engines either being tested or being stripped down to assess wear after being tested, together with facilities for analysing the oil that had been used in the tests. 

They also have a chamber with controlled atmosphere so that they can simulate all types of climatic conditions including sub-zero temperatures. I would imagine that such testing isn't cheap.

That's one of the problems: 'simulate'  - it's nothing like the real thing, because you don't know what you don't know.  It's a very old fashioned place.  Very quaint.  Sadly.
2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
fantasam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fantasam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 10 at 20:20
Originally posted by Happy Yellow Happy Yellow wrote:

That's one of the problems: 'simulate'  - it's nothing like the real thing, because you don't know what you don't know.  It's a very old fashioned place.  Very quaint.  Sadly.
Hmm, imagine on the other hand what it would be like if they didn't carry out testing under simulated conditions!
Man of few words, many farts
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 12:47
I'm needing to change my camshaft with about 138k on the clock I've had the van since new and have always used 506.1, 507.1 spec oil

Anyhoo I've been reading some other threads online about oils and camshafts etc. and it got me thinking if 506 and 507 have the same wear score why do folk still have issues with cams. Perhaps the 507 oil is less sticky than the 506? so therefore it doesn't stay on the cam as well overnight therefore causing wear issues?

Just a thought

Also I've seen some folk now recommending 505 PD c3 spec oil on higher mileage non DPF engines on the ground it's thicker and more sticky?! ...thoughts anyone?

God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 17 at 13:35
I've since found that the thing 507 lacks compared to 506.01 is zddp or zinc di something phosphate which had to be removed in 507 for environmental concerns and the fact it destroys DPF but it is an awesome anti wear additive for cams and tappets.

It basically forms a metal coasting on areas that are hot with wear.

Lots of people online are complaining about the wear caused to high load cams and tappets on newer oil which has had zddp removed, not just specifically the r5 engine.
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 17 at 16:38
That makes sense
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 17 at 13:17
So basically we need to add a tube of zinc sunscreen in with our 507.00 oil changes LOL
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 17 at 14:30
Originally posted by Rebuild Rebuild wrote:

So basically we need to add a tube of zinc sunscreen in with our 507.00 oil changes LOL

Only if it doesn't have a DPF (or if it has a DPF and doesn't burn any oil).  It seems zinc is bad for DPFs.

Scinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 18 at 19:47
My god, who are you people? Aliens? 
It's a f-ing lubricant. 

Put oil in motor, change oil frequently, motor will be happy. Motor might brake, don't blame oil. Blame motor or engineer.

For real, do you think every motor was tested with all different oils with all those combinations of additives??? It would take 1000 years to get the right oil "blend" for each motor.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 18 at 00:25
Originally posted by Scinner Scinner wrote:

My god, who are you people? Aliens? 
It's a f-ing lubricant. 

Put oil in motor, change oil frequently, motor will be happy. Motor might brake, don't blame oil. Blame motor or engineer.

For real, do you think every motor was tested with all different oils with all those combinations of additives??? It would take 1000 years to get the right oil "blend" for each motor.

Thank you for that input, it really adds to the useful information in this discussion.

Just so we know where you're coming from and how much we should take notice of your posts, what T5/6 do you own, how many miles have you driven it, and what problems have you experienced so far ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 01 Nov 18 at 07:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234