The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wipers running continuously

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wipers running continuously
    Posted: 03 Nov 09 at 18:39
Just went out to move the van and the wipers came on and would not stop.  The off, intermittant and low speed all ran at the low speed with the high speed position running at high speed.  Any suggestions before I start trying to take it apart?  Any hints on how to avoid damaging anything else?
Thanks
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
GT500 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 09 at 19:09
usually dust in the switch causes this sort of fault.
Best is some wd40 and then an air line blow out with covers off.

HTH 
Rob... The only LT on 18" wheels.
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 17:53
Thanks for the advice Rob. 

I took off the covers and sprayed contact cleaner, no change.

Then I pulled the steering wheel and indicator mechanism and removed the wiper arm/switch assembly.  Opened it up and sprayed contact cleaner and let dry.  When I came to reassemble found an extra part I hadn't noticed on disassembly (what a fool!).  Inside the switch assembly is a plastic rocker that has contacts on both ends.  Unfortunately I cannot see what makes it move.  I assume it's the bit I didn't notice when I took it apart.  Photos below. First is unit, 2nd and 3rd show the rocker in two positions. 4th is the cover and last is the unknown bit.

Does anyone know how this goes back together?  Any suggestions greatfully received (too late to get a new brain).
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
paulr View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 09 at 21:31

Looks like a different switch to the one I have. What year is it as mine's as '96.

www.flexiblesanders.co.uk
66 joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 07:01
Bit of a shot in the dark but i think its a 89LOL
T4 Westfalia Exclusive.Tdi LT work van..

t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 07:49
I think the mystery bit is the lug that you take out for the intermittent wiper , when i tried to do mine i took the plastic lug out and then you can pull the wiper switch down ( down is intermittent , up 1 is off , then on , then on fast ) , then took the metal lug out of the fuse box and replace it with a number 19 relay , and you guessed it , yup didn't work , no power to the switch.

So back to your problem ? take the relay out and see if that stops it , number 19 or 99

Edited by t'onion - 10 Nov 09 at 07:50
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 10:53
Decided to reassemble the unit without the unknown plastic bit.  When I put it all together it became obvious that the above photos while on the wiper section are in fact the controls for headlight high and dipped beam!!  At the moment the beam won't change so the plastic bit must somehow shift the rocker but I cannot see how it does this.  I actually opened up the switch on a well lighted kitchen counter so I am hoping I haven't lost some other part.
Standard practice for me, start with one problem and end up with two.  I'll keep messing with the switch innards but just in case does anyone know where I can get a replacement unit.

I am sure t'onion is right about the wiper problem being a problem with the relay that controls the intermittent action so also any advice on what to do about that is also welcome.
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
paulr View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 11:05
I had a problem with mine awhile back. The wipers worked fine but I couldn't get the 'wash & wipe' feature to work at all.

I took the water pump out and connected it up to a battery and it worked fine.

I took the streering column cowling off and found when the lever was pulled upwards the contacts were not connecting. I little gentle persuasion with a srewdriver soon rectified the problem.

You may find that your switch contacts have simply closed up (doing the opposite of mine).
A visual inspection in situ will soon show you whether that's the case. I didn't even need to take the switch off/out/apart.
www.flexiblesanders.co.uk
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 11:52
Paulr:  When I started this I checked and washer contact was OK.  ie only makes contact when lever pulled up.  It was the first part I cleaned before I found the proper wiper control contacts.

Managed to find where plastic bit went so have headlight control back (whew).  First photo shows plastic bit installed into the cover.  The U shaped end fits over the black shaft that the toggle rotates on.  A bit tricky to get it lined up but it works now.

Still have to find relay for wipers but as a temporary measure I now know which plug is for wiper control so can disconnect it when it's not raining.
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 12:29
The relay is just above the fuse box ,should have 19 or 99 printed on it 

miserable fooker

Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 16:29
Thanks Mark

Pulled the wiper relay (number 19 on top) third position from left.  When I pulled it out it started dripping.  Must have had a tablespoon or two of water inside.  Took off the cover, no major signs of corrosion so it's drying on the radiator. So far can't see where it's coming from.  At first glance no water showing anywhere else.

So what do I do next?  Pull fuse box I assume.  How?

Ain't LTs fun.
1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 09 at 19:56
disconnect the battery , unscrew the fuse box ,have a good look around see if you can see where the water is getting in , maybe aerial or windscreen , if you can see where its coming in clean the area above and around the f/box , then put some talc around the area , sit/lay in the van while someone sprays the van wit the hose , you maybe able to see it come in , but the talc will show the track marks of the leak .

miserable fooker

drunkenmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 06:37
Bad earth connection hidden behind the washer bottle causes the wipers to stay on. Does your main beam dash light stay on, even when you're on dipped?
There is a cluster of spade connectors fitted to a circular fitting on the bodywork.
1991 LT35E 2.4TD (volvo transplant)
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 17 at 17:28
I developed this problem yesterday.
Righted itself briefly, during which time I also had dashboard lights (speedo and clock) for the first time in three years!
Wrong again this morning.

So my hit list is:
- check contact at the steering column
- check relay 19
- check earth behind the washer
Mk1 LT35 1996
Rusty on the outside, cosy on the inside.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 17 at 12:47
Do not forget the earth star on the side of the fusebox.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 11:53
Earth behind the washer bottle gets really rusty and cleaning it up solved loads of issues for me. Get some nice silicon grease, clean up all your earths and and then grease them up so they stay nice for a while longer. 
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply