The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ / TDI ENGINE ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1414DK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ / TDI ENGINE ?
    Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 21:53
HI IVE JUST JOINED AND HAVE LOTS QUESTIONS. I HAVE A SYNCRO CREW CAB IT HAS HAD A AAZ CONVERSION BUT ITS A NON RUNNER .THE MAIN QUESTION IS DO I REPLACE WITH ANOTHER AAZ OR GO FOR A TDI MY AIM IS TO SIT COMFORTABLE AT 70 MPH ON MOTORWAY. I HAVE SPENT 100S OF HOURS ON THE BODY WORK THE VAN LOOKS GREAT. I NOW NEED TO MAKE SURE I WILL BE HAPPY WITH THE RIDE.  THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 22:02
Hello, both the Tdi and the AAZ will sit at 70, just depends on how much additional work you want to do. The Tdi has more electrics, and bits & bobs to do rather than the straightforward swap of one AAZ for another. Oh, and STOP SHOUTING!!

Get some pices of your DoKa up, and get the drinks in!
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
1414DK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1414DK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 22:37

ShockedSorry for shouting,  I will add photos when i work out how to upload them.Thanks for reply,so both engines will sit at 70? if so then surely it is best to stick with aaz because of cost? My main worries are overheating the engine,this is what i think happened to the last aaz. Also i am reading scary coments about the gear box on a syncro.

Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 09 at 07:47
Yes they will both do that without problem, and yes the cheapest way would be to simply change the AAZ (which is a great conversion anyway).
As long as your standard cooling system is in good shape, Radiator, front to rear pipes etc and you have some decent G12 antifreeze you should be fine. The gearbox is strong enough to cope with an AAZ no problem, if you are not changing anything in the gearbox and you think its a bit to revvy at 70 then it may be an idea to fit bigger wheels & tyres, even going from 14" to 15" will make a difference. It wont to any harm to give your gearbox some nice fresh oil while you have the van in bits though Wink.

The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
1414DK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1414DK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 09 at 20:01
Thanks, i think i will probably stick with the aaz, i dont think i can afford to do the gearbox it sounds expensive.I am guessing you would have to ,if you want more top speed.With either AAZor TDI engine.  70 is fine for the amount of motorway driving i do anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply