The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" WHEEL OFFSET

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWETTYRING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18" WHEEL OFFSET
    Posted: 01 Oct 09 at 23:15
hi guys/gals,
i'm looking to buy some 18" wheels for my t3 camper and was just wondering what offset i need.from reading other threads i believe it to be et32.....is this right?also how wide can i go with this offset in terms of rim width as i'd like to run 8's on the fronts and 9's on the back.if anyone can tell me the offset required to get this width of rim on it would be much appreciated.
regards,
rick.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 07:38
with 9s on the back you may need to do the extended door hinge mod to clear the rear wheels when opening the door.

its easier to put a pic of the wheels and its details up to say if its possible / been done...
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

SWETTYRING View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWETTYRING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 17:24

thanks for the reply,

i've read on here about extending the door hinge and that shouldn't be any problem although i've had a bit of a change of heart in regards to wheel width due to finding a nicer set of wheels.the wheels i now want to run on are ascari cuervo's and i think they would look better in 8's all round with them tucked in the arches.i plan to buy the wheels brand new and  that's why i'm enquiring as to what width and offset to get.any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to buy something that is going to cause a lot of stress to get them on.
so in brief then with 18"" wheels what offset do i have to buy?
are 8" wheels the biggest i can get on bearing in mind i want them tucked up?
regards,
rick.
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 22:14
Big tyres can be a problem on the front due to clearnce at the arches etc, rears are a lot easier to accomodate.
Sunny Lancs
jamiegolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiegolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 08:29
ive got 18's on my camper, i know there 8's but i will find out the offset when i go out later, they were from a vw passat, im using 5mm spacers and all wheels are flush with the arches.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 09:17
Lower it, and one good bump will peel your arches back. I know Cry
Sunny Lancs
jamiegolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiegolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 10:25
well when i replaced the arches i spaced the front ones out slightly, go tthe back ones to do so when i do them i mwill make them a little wider than standard Beer
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 10:40
Can`t see the original poster wanting to be doing that mate !  No matter what the wheel diameter, after all, it`s the overall tyre diameter that matters so you try and get pretty close to original tyre 185/82 x 14" equivalent, 225 width tyres on the front will be very tight / too tight (mine are fag-paper close)

Use this easy tyre size camparitor to see what you need (bottom of the info page)
Sunny Lancs
jamiegolf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiegolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 14:21
Originally posted by Joker_Club Joker_Club wrote:

Can`t see the original poster wanting to be doing that mate !  No matter what the wheel diameter, after all, it`s the overall tyre diameter that matters so you try and get pretty close to original tyre 185/82 x 14" equivalent, 225 width tyres on the front will be very tight / too tight (mine are fag-paper close)

Use this easy tyre size camparitor to see what you need (bottom of the info page)
oh i know that, but since i was doing arches anyway i thought i would widen them a bit to accomadate the wheels. the wheel and tyre combination i have is just the same size as the rolling radius with standard wheels. speedo is the same as it was previously.
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 01:32
8 is as wide as you realy want to go on the front of a t3
ive tried more sizes than most, you dont realy want to be going wider.

i run 8.5 wide split rims but im taking them backdown to 8.

8 and 9 is a good combination.
8j with et 30 will be fine

on the rear i know that 8.5 et 20  with 265 35 18 tyres clears the door,close but clears.
so 9j  et30 would be fine

if you go 8 and 9 wide i would recomend keeping the offsets between et 30 and et 40 , that way if you need to space them  (8x18 et 40 normaly needs 5 to 10 mm spacers up front) then you will be keeping spacers to a minium.

WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
SWETTYRING View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWETTYRING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 09 at 23:23

hi,

thanks for all the input,it is muchly appreciated......it's just so much easier buying something when you know exactly what it is you want,as you can probably tell,i'm a newbie in the world of campers and this sort of info is just excellent.a learning curve......and there is plenty to learn!

thanks again and no doubt i'll trouble you all for some more info in the near future!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply