The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mixing batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mixing batteries
    Posted: 30 Sep 09 at 19:45
not too clever when it comes to batteries, but i`ve realised that i can fit a rather large leisure battery under the front of my van and was wondering whether i can still keep the normal battery that runs the camping lights ect aswell.

so

sdt batt + std batt = more aph

leisure batt + leisure batt = more aph

but will std batt + leisure batt be ok????????

cheerz batt heads.    lee.
ped View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 09 at 19:51
I thought that a standard plus a leisure was the norm? But won't you be wanting to run your "camping lights etc" from the latter?

1985 VW T3 Autocruiser Diamond RV
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 09 at 20:57
well in the westy there are 2 std batteries ( thats the norm )1 does the starting and the other does pretty much everything else. there`s not much room under the seats for a leisure batt but i have room elsewhere so i need to know whether to add the big leisure batt to the existing batt or use one instead off, if you get my drift.
happyhooker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyhooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 09 at 21:03
My advice is use a leisure battery for all your camping and audio requirements, and if you fit 2 leisure batteries they should be the same size ie. 85 or 110 not a mix of 85 and 110!

Fit a simple split charging system whis is a very simple relay and a few wires and thats it.  Need more power then add an extra matching battery.

I have 2 x 110ah leisure batteries and a split charging system, which powers a 1700w Inverter and runs 12v cool box / fridge.  I have a zig type charger so when on mains it not only charges battery but give continuous 12v power to fridge and any 12v accessory.

Keep std battery std.  Simples Approve
Keep Smiling Another Day Tomorrow! :-)

86 T3 'Animal Instincts' JX Pushed...

If you smell Chip Fat it's probably me!!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 09 at 21:17
Originally posted by happyhooker happyhooker wrote:

and if you fit 2 leisure batteries they should be the same size ie. 85 or 110 not a mix of 85 and 110!

errrr...... why's that? Embarrassed
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Bigherbie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigherbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 09 at 08:02
Originally posted by Chappy Chappy wrote:

Originally posted by happyhooker happyhooker wrote:

and if you fit 2 leisure batteries they should be the same size ie. 85 or 110 not a mix of 85 and 110!

errrr...... why's that? Embarrassed

Is's one of the rules of electrikery otherwise you get recirculating currents.
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 09 at 14:59
the85ah battery should be charged at ,say 8.5 amps.... the110ah battery should be charged at say 10.1amps,so.. one will be slightly over charged [85ah] and the110ah slightly under charged,add the starter battery 65ah [charged at say 6.5amps] and it all ends a bit of a mess  [but does work!].idealy the batteries should be the same as the starter battery.
a lot of self build campervan/motorhome use battery to battery chargers [dc to dc converters ] they are very expensive though .
i have two 65ah batteries and a small solar panel [20watt] this worked ok for six weeks touring Spain etc.
1992 1.6td syncro
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 08:37
ok guys. is it ok to mix say a 65ah normal battery and a 65ah leisure battery in the leisure system alone. then idealy a 65ah starter batt aswell.
Bigherbie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigherbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 17:54
No the batteries should have the same internal resistance (Starter batteries have low resistance leisure batteries high resistance) The besy way is to do it like HH said fit a split charger and keep the starter battery for starting and the leisure battery for the camping lights.
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 12:18
ok thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply