The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leisure Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 19:57
Dead
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Not meaning to confuse matters or influence your decision but this "all in one solution" may be of interest to you as most of the tricky stuff is done

That's a pretty good set up.... But I would quiz them first about it's contents before purchase..

My only concern would be the cable going to the starter battery.. It seems to be small and the inline fuse would only be around 20 amp....
This is like the set up I had before, which worked to a degree.... BUT... If your leisure battery has drained down fairly low and you have a cool box plugged in, being supplied by the leisure battery...
Then when you first start the vehicle and the starter battery is charged the VSR will then click over to supply the drained leisure battery... (Which is what's meant to happen)
BUT!!! Due to the heavy current needed to re-charge the leisure battery and the current used to run the cool box... The 20 amp inline fuse is likely to blow... Which you won't know about until you go to use your leisure battery, only to find it's dead... Plus! Having 10 outlets from the unit is a lot, you could possibly have lights, fridge, heater, TV etc all plugged into it, all on, but not working due to the leisure battery being flat and when you start the vehicle all them things are gonna call for current... That's a fair bit of current going through what seems a 20 amp fuse...DeadDead
I changed my set up due to this reason.... I now have two 50 amp inline fuses, cable to suit running from the starter battery, through the 100 amp VSR and onto the leisure battery... I can now leave my coolbox on without fear of it blowing the fuse when I start the van....

Hope this makes sense......

Digs..
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 20:03
Originally posted by Digs Digs wrote:

Dead
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Not meaning to confuse matters or influence your decision but this "all in one solution" may be of interest to you as most of the tricky stuff is done

That's a pretty good set up.... But I would quiz them first about it's contents before purchase..

My only concern would be the cable going to the starter battery.. It seems to be small and the inline fuse would only be around 20 amp....
This is like the set up I had before, which worked to a degree.... BUT... If your leisure battery has drained down fairly low and you have a cool box plugged in, being supplied by the leisure battery...
Then when you first start the vehicle and the starter battery is charged the VSR will then click over to supply the drained leisure battery... (Which is what's meant to happen)
BUT!!! Due to the heavy current needed to re-charge the leisure battery and the current used to run the cool box... The 20 amp inline fuse is likely to blow... Which you won't know about until you go to use your leisure battery, only to find it's dead... Plus! Having 10 outlets from the unit is a lot, you could possibly have lights, fridge, heater, TV etc all plugged into it, all on, but not working due to the leisure battery being flat and when you start the vehicle all them things are gonna call for current... That's a fair bit of current going through what seems a 20 amp fuse...DeadDead
I changed my set up due to this reason.... I now have two 50 amp inline fuses, cable to suit running from the starter battery, through the 100 amp VSR and onto the leisure battery... I can now leave my coolbox on without fear of it blowing the fuse when I start the van....

Hope this makes sense......

Digs..

I think you`re on my wavelenght Digs - my thoughts exactly.......

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Digs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 20:14
Just to add..... You will not be able to fit a higher rated cable from the Starter battery to the unit, due to the possibility of the internal VSR only being rated for that cable... And as that looks like a 20 amp inline fuse I'd say the VSR is rated to 30 amp...

So replacing the wire for some 4 awg cable and inline fuses rated at 50 amp, your VSR will turn into a fuse and go pop, bang, spark , fire,  if any problem arises...

As stated before... Going OTT where electrickery is involved is always a better/safer option.

BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 14:54
Thanks for the replies gang.   I am so impressed with all the help!
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
gadget View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 18:09
two 50amp fuses ???? do you mean youve put two fuses in parallel on the supply from starter battery? what you need is a specific leisure battery charger that will have a built in overload device that will limit the charge current to the leisure battery thus eliminating all your issues and preventing your fuses,cables, relays and alternator from going pop..
Digs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 19:48
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

two 50amp fuses ???? do you mean youve put two fuses in parallel on the supply from starter battery? what you need is a specific leisure battery charger that will have a built in overload device that will limit the charge current to the leisure battery thus eliminating all your issues and preventing your fuses,cables, relays and alternator from going pop..

I have a 50 amp fuse close to the starter battery, before the VSR and another 50 amp fuse just before the Leisure battery....
As for having a specific leisure battery charger.... I would like to know what kind of charger you mean, that can do that from an alternator.....

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 20:37
Originally posted by Digs Digs wrote:

Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

I have a 50 amp fuse close to the starter battery, before the VSR and another 50 amp fuse just before the Leisure battery....
As for having a specific leisure battery charger.... I would like to know what kind of charger you mean, that can do that from an alternator.....

I would guess Gadget means a "Battery to Battery" or "Alterator to Battery" charger

They are good, but they really aint cheap........

Sterling seems to be among the best

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
gadget View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 20:51
thats it energy, i was to lazy to do a search, these are installed in campers to eliminate the problem with blowing fused and more importantly alternaters, unless of course you have a uprated alternator fitted which would then limit the chance of it burning out. but this would only happen if you have a large leisure battery (110ah) fitted and regulary run it right down.  just for the record what size is the standard start battery in a t5? 70ah?
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 21:01
mines 95ah
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 21:12
95 starter with an 80 one under the pass seat
running of a 180Amp alternator

Edited by BANANABUS - 28 Jan 10 at 21:14
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 10:20
When I wire my double 12v socket into the SRC consumer unit, what fuse should I use?  I'll be using a standard van blade-fuse, but am wondering which amp rating it should have?

Thanks for the continuing help!  I'm very aware that this Electrickery stuff has to be right - hence all the questions!

BBB
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
Shepp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shepp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 11 at 16:14
Been reading up with interest, would like to know how you got on Blakey, I'm looking to set off down the same road......

So to jump in at the end, am I right in thinking the Tidy Transporters unit is really quick and easy to fit, (but quite bit more expensive) but add an inline 20A circuit breaker or fuse close to the original van battery ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678