The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3rd clutch ripped apart - Ideas please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 14:44
Originally posted by Hobbyist Hobbyist wrote:

For the moment is my problem solved, i hope.

Everything is mounted by myself but i have changed my gearbox with another, because i had a big movement on my ingoing axle from the gearbox.
It was possible to move the axle with the hand about 2 a 3 mm on the end of the axle. (sorry if my englisch is not so good). Remember that i had a big vibration on my gearbox handle on the dash in fifth gear and noise from de first and second gear from the bearing in the gearbox.
Thats why i search for a replacement in advance.

I have done the repair complete by myself , whit a lot of infomation from everywhere ofcourse and the luck i had a place where i could done the repair. What a job i must tell.....

I have going on a holiday with the car and have about 2200km with no problems so far, and i hope it will stay so.
So i hope i have helped someone with my information and hopefully the solution.

greets Luc 

Yes this is what my gearbox is doing I think ??

Movement on the shafts and noise when decelerating in 1st or second from gearbox.

Did you put a whole new gearbox in ??

See this video on this thread

ajbristol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajbristol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 18 at 10:21
Hi, sorry to read about your issues with you T5, I write as I am in EXACTLY the same position, only your 2 clutches more ahead of me. My fiasco started when I changed my engine, I thought I don't want to be going in there again so I'll change the lot DMF cover and plate bearing etc... preventative works I thought, within 4k miles I had total loss of transmission on the motorway, plate ripped to shreds and the centre completely separated from the friction material all stainless fingers ripped !  As the flywheel was only a few months old and had only covered 4k I simply had the plate and cover replaced.  All good and off we go, within 500 miles I'm back to square one !  Second one ripped out (assuming its the same issue) although I have not taken it apart again to look, it got towed home and sat on the drive ever since.... 

SO if ANYONE want a project feel free to make me an offer, my time with VW and T5's has come to an end. Its a 2010, 2.0 6spd 4Motion, Factory Kombi has 5 seats, owes me 9k NO OFFERS, its had recent 23k miles engine fitted and is very tidy in wonderful Frisian Green.  Come and take it away, it has saab captain seats and rear 12v wiring with leisure battery etc, awning rail part insulated and carpeted buyer gets everything I have to finish interior. Spare stainless exhaust bits and pieces etc Just had NEW Discs and pads upfront, new ones available for rear.  This was to be a keeper for me but wife has had major strop either it goes or I do !
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 17:28
Old thread I know but it would have been nice to have been informed of the final outcome.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 18 at 22:22
Yes I agree ZZ.  You can't help wondering if some of the really big ones get 'paid off' in the end.  I wonder what ever happened to that bloke who had his 180 wrapped with some (alleged) grievances about some not unheard of engine failures and then parked it outside a dealers showroom?     

In the intervening nine years of reported (and now well known) problems this clutch one has actually turned out a bit of a rarity. (I stand to be corrected!)  The drive shafts stripping however are still common even on the new model.  I reckon VW should look on the internet a bit more before they design a 'new' model. LOL
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 18 at 05:03
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

...... The drive shafts stripping however are still common even on the new model.  I reckon VW should look on the internet a bit more before they design a 'new' model. LOL

A cynic (who, me ?) might speculate whether the VW engineers who want to fix a known problem have been over-ruled by the bean counters in charge of maximising profits from spare parts sales (driveshafts, DMFs, DPFs, water pumps, free wheels, wheel bearings etc), aided and abetted by the service managers in the dealers.  Wink

Edited by gregozedobe - 25 Aug 18 at 05:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234