The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Oil level fault on 2.5Tdi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddi Camel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Oil level fault on 2.5Tdi
    Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 22:20

I've recently bought an '03 T4 with a 2.5Tdi (ACV) Engine (102 Brake Donkey Powers)......

Anyway, I keep getting the orange oil level warning light popping up. I keep checking it each time (every 100km's) but the dipstick tells me it's spot on.

I took the undertray off on Sunday and checked connections of assorted sensors on the engine/sump - but they all seemed good & clean.  I assume the level sensor is the one in the bottom of the sump?

It's bugging the hell out of me & I really don't want the lump to go pop because there really is a fault.

Is there a chance I've got the wrong dipstick? Could someone who's got the same engine tell me the part number of their dipstick (no, not the village idiot Tongue)?

TIA

Neill

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 22:58
You need a bonnet pin switch..

Heres the story.

Your van has a oil lever sensor in the sump.
If the oil level in the sump drops it will put on a YELLOW oil light to tell you the oil is low.
So, you OPEN the bonnet remember that bit, top the oil up.
shut the bonnet.

Now, inside the dash pod is a special doohicky that realises the oil level is correct, but it also needs a signal to say that the bonnet has been up and down before it will reset the light.

Usual thing is that the bonnet pin switch will be full of water and gone all green and furry or the terminals in the wiring plug will be all shitty.

Cheap, quick easy way is to take the plug off, short the wires and that should stop the light coming on, or the right way to do it is to fit a new pin switch to the bonnet.

Like a smart arse I was going to point you to a page on my webshop with said switch for sale, but like a dick it's one of those things I have loads of on the shelf but forgotten to put on the webshop so people can buy that bleeding things - Doh!

If you can't get to a van centre to buy one, or, hang on, they are originally fitted to Polos, so if you can't get to VW either drop me a e-mail and I will make sure I put them on the shop.

Muddi Camel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddi Camel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 23:27

Simon - Thank you.

I've been driving Land Rovers for years & know most of the "foibles & quirks", but this beats them hands-down!

As a family we've had either V Dubbs or LR's (or both). I've only just added a VW to the stables again & it's a novelty having dry seats after a rain-shower and other such little things!

Anyway - bonnet switch. I know the circuit resets once the bonnet's been opened, but that's daft - you'd have thought that an iffy switch would fail to trip the reset. I'll need one of those by the sounds of it, as well as the LH inner CV gaiter (perished & about to fail) and some lower springs (AVO ones still on order).

Thank you for the quick response. I'll go & snuffle about in the morning.........

Thanks

Neill

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 09 at 23:45
I get 2 deliveries a day from VW, plus umpteen from GSF and local factors, so if you need owt giz a bell, just because it isn't on the shop doesn't mean I cant get it.
Muddi Camel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddi Camel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 08:27
The oil light resets, but seems to reappear every 100km. switch/sensor problem?
cwatson1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwatson1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 13 at 09:50
NEED HELP !!!!!
Hi I have a fault code popping up 00562 sensor for oil level/ temp. Will this effect the gears in an automatic I have hadumy torque changed and also changed the brake light switch as someone said it could be that but the gears are still struggling and sometimes not even going into drive ( also I can be diving along and it comes completely out of gear leaving it tk just rev and won't go back in) I don't know what else i can check or change???
c watson
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 13 at 20:10
What codes you getting in the transmission? Reading the engine won't tell you much about the gearbox!
 Post Reply Post Reply