The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 Rere Axle Loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peecee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 Rere Axle Loads
    Posted: 04 Jul 09 at 11:42
I have an LT35 campervan built in 2000.  The gross weight is atated as 3.5 tonnes (sic).  Being a campervan, she is near this limit even unladen.  When we fill water tanks, stock up with food, load bikes & clothing etc we are somewhat over the limit. 

Has anyone any ideas on options for upgrading the rere axle load rating?  Is it possible to replace the current axle with an LT45 twin-wheel version? Are the wheels be the same size on both models? Is replacing the axle too drastic a measure i.e. is it possible to simply replace the existing shocks and springs with approved heavy-duty components?

Any feedback would be appreciated as I can't bring my girlfriend on trips any more due to the weight restrictions........something heavy has to be left behind and it's not the beer........ 

Thanks
Problems breed solutions!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 08:37
First thing I'd do is take the van to a weighbridge empty and full to get the actual axle loads.
You will need this before you can buy new springs, but the cost will be significant, I read a post recently where springs cost £1000 to replace not upgrade.

Have you considered a trailer, not for the beer obviously.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

peecee2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peecee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 15:44
Hi and thanks for the advice,

In the meantime, I found some documentation (in German) stating that the van was fitted with air suspension in 2002 in Germany.  It's now certified with a gross weight of 3.8 tonnes!  That'll do nicely!  The weird thing is that the VIN plate is blank except for the engine & chassis serial numbers - maybe this isn't a bad thig if push comes to shove - but very strange for a vehicle built in Germany..........:-)

Problems breed solutions!
 Post Reply Post Reply