The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to change the fuel filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to change the fuel filter
    Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 00:11
This is for the 130 and 174 engines I can't remember if it's the same on the others.

The fuel filter lives on the passanger side just to the right of the coolant bottle and it's a reasonably easy job to change.  To get at it, take the two coolant bottle screws out and move it out of the way.  (No need to disconnect hoses/wires from the bottle).  Take the battery cover off and slide up the little cover shown in the first pic.

It's really important to keep everything dust/dirt free once you take off the pipes so it's a good idea to give the top of the fuel filter a good blast off with brake cleaner before you start.  Don't use carb cleaner since that melts some plastics.

Note the positions of the pipes (they are marked with letters) I don't think the four pipes will go back in the wrong positions but you can mark dots or whatever on them if you are the nervous type.  The pipes come off by pressing in the button on the side of each one firmly and pulling them upwards.  Next release the tention on the single spring clip that holds the filter and lower it enough to take the fuel filter out.

Change over the clip to the new filter and clip it into its bracket facing the right way.  Some filters have an arrow on the side which points to the front.  The pipes just push back on.  Line them up straight as you push them home so you don't damage the seals in the pipes.  Fit three of the pipes but leave the back pipe off.  This way you can  fill the filter up buy turning the ignition on until fuel gurgles out of the filter at the back.  Pack rag aound the filter to catch any spillage.  You may need to switch the ignition on and off a few times to speed things up using the pump on 'prime'.  Pop the last pipe back on and away you go.  You may get a few seconds of uneven running but this will soon smooth out.

Important-  Make sure to clean up any spilled diesel fuel (Use the brake cleaner again) because diesel fuel can turn coolant hoses to jelly! 

When you refit the coolant bottle don't forget to make sure that the small lower coolant hose hasn't popped out of its two plastic clips.

Ask away if I've missed anything out...

Edited by T5 TDI - 21 Jun 09 at 08:09
2004 2.5 174
mcguyver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 10:39
Nice work TDI, with your post and onefut's water pump/oil change instructional, we're well on our way to a T5 Haynes book.
How often do you change your fuel/air filters? According to my 84 service book, the recommended change is 80000 miles for both, which seems a little infrequent to me.

mac
Chauffeurdude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 15:31
I change air filter every second service (longlife) but I service it every 15-16K regardless so usually 30-35k at most. Fuel filter every 60k approx which is less than interval but like to be safe. Get quite a bit of crud in that fuel filter!!  I find best to prefill filter before putting back on which is easy as sits right way up. Fire it up and leave on tickover for couple of mins but don't rev it while fuel system pressures up and all seems to be wellSmile Hope this helps!
Owns VW Transporter T5 Shuttle SE 130 TDi.
Chauffeurdude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 15:33

To actually answer your question I think 80000 miles is too long for air filter as they get quite dirty after 30000 miles. For sake of the few quid for new filter got to be better for the engine imhoSmile

Owns VW Transporter T5 Shuttle SE 130 TDi.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 16:41
I agree.  I change my air filter every 10,000 miles and it's in a pretty bad state by that time.  I reckon the fuel consumption gets slightly better with the new one.  I think I pay about a tenner for a Mahle German air filter. 

I've done about 50,000 on that original fuel filter.  I tipped out the fuel into a clean jar and there was no sign of any bits or water so I think I'll stick with the 50K change.  I might not do that if I lived outside Europe though and I should drain it and check for contamination a bit more often. Embarrassed

The fuel filter (Mahle again) is quite large on the T5 and cost me about £30.
2004 2.5 174
mcguyver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 09 at 18:50
Thanks for the replies (sorry to hijack your thread TDI).
On my old LT both air and fuel filters were due at 45000 (every third service), on my Focus the recommendation was both at 37500 (again every third service). I don't think the atmosphere or the diesel from the pumps is any cleaner than a few years ago, so, unless there has been a leap forward in filter technology, I can't see a reason for the extended intervals.
The T5 is coming up to 30000, so I'll have a look at them.

mac
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 11 at 21:42
Originally posted by magloman magloman wrote:

If you have VCDS/Vag-Com available you can prime/bleed the diesel filter by entering "01-engine" then "04-basic settings". Then enter 035 and hit "go", then you press "next/go" The pump cell will then change to "ON" and the electronic pump will go for 30 seconds. For a filter change this should be sufficient but if you have replaced injectors and stuff you can repeat this procedure.
(Done this on a 2007 T5)
 Post Reply Post Reply