The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confused.... You will be.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused.... You will be.
    Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 18:25
Running very hot still and very confused as to why over half way to 3/4's on the coolant temp' gauge at all times.

Got a quality 'Wahler thermostat' which is opening and closing as it should.
Just fitted a new water pump and the belts good and tight.
Tried with different dilutions of coolant mixture as well as just plain old tap water on it's own.
Still the same temp' no matter what.

The thermostat has the air release thingymajig to prevent air blocks but..... when I run the van with no thermostat in it's fine goes every where at about 1/4 on the gauge quite happily.
I'm happy to run it with no stat' in and give it a little time to warm up before giving it any major beans, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it if I can...... Any thoughts, advice or Ideas folks
You nod yer ed n I'll it' it     
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 18:32
try another thermostat ?

I've not had to change one yet , can it be put in the wrong way around ?
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

Butternut boy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 18:43
The thermostats the third I've tried plus I've checked it's opening/closing and it is.

There is an arrow on it which I've got pointing in the direction of the flow 'IN' which is towards the head... but to look at it it doesn't seem like it would make a difference.... Could be wrong though.

I was hoping that in my old age I wouldn't need instructions to fit a thermostat.... maybe I do.
roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 19:50
Might be worth giving the whole cooling system a good flush.  There maybe a restriction somewhere which is making things marginal.

Edited by roundandsquare - 18 Jun 09 at 19:52
LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 19:56
You could change to a cooler thermostat.
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 20:43
Forgot to mention I've already had the rad' off and given the system a good flush, so it's nice and clean throughout and no blockages.

Cooler thermostat eh? I dropped the coolant when it had just come off the road and whipped the thermostat out while it was still hot and It was open.... Are you saying it might not be opening enough Terry?, I guess that could explain things.

This one opens at the top of the 'C' line and the 'B' line sits on the bottom of the chamber, which leads directly to the water pump. I was wondering wether, for whatever reason this was the circulation problem.
I think other thermostats might open at the bottom 'B' line as well, letting coolant flow through the head, back to the rad' and straight down tho the pump at the same time.

This is def' the right stat' though so it's stiff confusing.
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 22:00
All thermostats are rated at different degrees You say without the thermo in it runs normal but runs hot when its in if the thermo is say rated at 90 deg then it wont open till it reaches this point then the water is cooled by the rad and it shuts keeping the temp constant change it for a thermo rated at 80 deg and it opens earlier and stays cooler. AS you know I like my classic cars this used to be a common fix for cars before manufacturers listed specific therms for specific cars. look on the thermstat and you should find the temp in degs. just get one cooler.
Let me know what its rated at as Ive got about 20 thermos still boxed all different ratings.
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
x ray View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 22:36
i have a 2.4td and had problems running hot i have now fitted a MAN thermostat which opens at a lower temp 84 instead of 87 degree opening cost 30 quid but seems to have cured problem
somewhere in my soul there's always rock and roll
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butternut boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 09 at 23:36
Cheers Fella's.... Sounds like a plan.

Terry, I'm away for a few day's so I'll get back to you after the weekend and maybe swap you a cooler stat' for a few beers.....

drunkenmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 09 at 08:20
If you've got a thermometer you can test the stat in a pyrex jug, Boil a kettle and fill it up add a bit of cold to get it to just under 80 c. Pop in the stat and add more boiling water to increase the temperature. According to the 1986 VAG manual it should start to open at 80c and finish opening at 94c. Minimum opening stroke should be 8mm
1991 LT35E 2.4TD (volvo transplant)
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
drunkenmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 09 at 08:22
****************NOTE*****************
Specs I gave are for the diesel
1991 LT35E 2.4TD (volvo transplant)
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply