The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

subaru in an auto velle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: subaru in an auto velle
    Posted: 21 May 09 at 09:57
Hi Chaps,

Been a little while since selling my Doka and getting around to buying a Caravelle which my local MOT chappie (Mersh Bros, SE London) has been holding on to for me for almost a year (9 month old, loft conversion etc... list goes on).

My Hx: Grew up in a twin slider T3 which my dad bought from new, had nothing but VWs (first two bugs) myself, and is now evident that 'it' is clearly permanently engrained in my genes. My velle looks almost identical, and seeing as I bought a flat two doors away from my dad, I think its pretty safe to say I'm turning in to him!

Anyhoo, theres no question that I want to go down the subaru route. I read up a lot last year as I was thinking of doing it for the Doka, but I'm glad I didnt. I'm goning to keep the Velle, and have a 'cool' family car. Hence requiring better economy, comfort etc. I guess what I'd like to do is call upon all those who know/have performed the conversion, specifically with an auto, and to list thieir advice, avoidance of potential pitfalls, what to look for in a donor, how much to budget, whether to do it myslef or leave it to a pro (anyone out there providing the service feel free to contact me as my technical prowess is mediocre at best), what facilities I would need for the conversion (live in London and space is a premium; I do however have a small garage with power (some creative wiring from the light feed Wink).

I'd like to hear of experiences from a 'simple' Ej22 to a WRX/turbo conversion if possible to weigh up the advantages/disadv. I want economy, but perhaps to correct rationale is in for a penny...?

I'll be honest, I think its probably a little out of my technical abilities, and although I can source all the parts and plan logistics, I do not have the technical ability to think laterally should things not go according to plan during the actual swap over.

With that said, any help/suggestions?
RHD Caravelle EJ25
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
samuelvincentvella View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 10:18
Oh, and also, is it possible to do anything with the gearing on an auto, so that with the extra power on hand, revs can stay lower at motor way speeds, thus improving economy even further?
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
t3monkey boy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3monkey boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 10:44
Take a look at these sites, lots of help and advise on there aswell.

www.carsandhistory.com
Got a nice Subaru powered Club Joker.
Nick 07766310652
Email:nickholby2003@yahoo.co.uk
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 21:55
Rjes do quality conversion parts,  but the bellhousing only works with manuals,  you'll need a kep adapter plate for auto. 

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

Get you wiring done by Richard at RJES it'll be the best £250 you'll spend,  it's basically plug in and play.

I have an EJ22 which is nice improvement on the 2.1,  I was planning on 2.5 but a 2.2 came up which was silly cheap so couldn't say no!

What ever engine you choose just buy a complete running car, strip the bits you need, then sell or scrap the rest, that way your know the engine is sound.

As for doing it yourself,  if your capable of swapping a Bus engine then you can do a subura conversion,  if not get someone else to do it.
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 22:11
RJ recommended a chap in Hearne Bay (Barry) to do the conversion, anyone heard of him? Feedback?
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
flightpath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightpath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 09 at 22:51
Sam PM'd ya.
Bill@AVA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill@AVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 09 at 19:17
Hello guys.

First post!!

Just wanted to mention that i currently own a T3 with a "Barry" Subaru conversion, using the 2.5 :)

Im also located in Lewisham, SE London, so your more then welcome to pop by to have a look, ill take you out for a spin to if you fancy it :)

Its such an improvment over the old engine, its like driving a modern car!!

So yeah send me a PM if you intrested :)

Thanks

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 09 at 21:11
PM'ed you Bill...
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 09:30
chaps, an update.

as of yesterday got every single bit I 'm gonna need to finish the project. Rebuilt the 2.5 a few weekends ago; pretty straighforward with only a couple of minor set backs. Appears the timing belt had jumped and there was an everso slight sign of collision from the valve heads on the pistons. These engines definitely are not non-collision, or whatever the term is. Head gaskets did already show signs of serious compramise despite looking like theyd been replaced at some point. Did it again anyway with the corrected parts from Subaru so expect a long shelf life. Couple of previously poor helicoiled repairs had to be fixed too for a couple of the tensioners. All done though and confident.

I also sourced a 2.1 box from nwvw with final drive, so that will be overhauled, with extra clutch packs put in to cope with cooling and extra power (taken from the Audi 100).

Unfortunately I had a motorbike crash and smashed my right ankle so am in Hospital now, but every cloud... my mother in law visited from California and brought over all my bits waiting for me from Kennedy, so saved a packet there.

Gonna be out of action for a few months now, but its winter anyway. hope to start hitting it again in early spring.

Edited by samuelvincentvella - 16 Nov 09 at 09:35
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 10:27
Kinell!!
Bet that hurt!
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
hobbit View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 11:43
Looks like you need to re-build your leg before your van!!
Good luck fellaThumbs Up
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 12:00
being rebuilt on Thursday :D
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 09 at 22:26
ouch that looks nasty chap!!

good luck with the op
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 10 at 20:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zt9afb8pGI

Finally fired the EJT3 up today - sounded awesome with RJs exhaust. Lovely steady tick over, and very smooth. Unfortunately we have an ATF leak, so box will have to come out next weekend and replace a couple of bushes.

All being well I'll be cruising around Blackheath on Sunday!

Thanks to RJ for the loom mod and advice, flightpath AKA Paul for the phone calls and inspiration, and Mr Tony Drane for his VW knowhow!

Edited by samuelvincentvella - 06 Mar 10 at 20:14
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 10 at 21:36
Nice,  I have the rjes system, it's a great bit of kit. What air filter are you going to use,  stock or cone? I used a cone filter to start with but the induction roar was too much for the family in the back,  so put the stock subaru set up in,  much quieter inside.
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuelvincentvella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 08:49
Not sure mate. The Subaru one doesnt seem to want to fit in the space left (mine is an auto remember).

What cone did you use and where did you get it from?

Was thinking about putting some louvres in the near side rear quarter eventually to aid its breathing. Would there be any added functionality to it? 
RHD Caravelle EJ25
facebook.com/SamsSpirals
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 20:07
I just got a regular cone filter one from halfords,  you'll need an adapter which bolts onto the airflow if you go down that route.

I had 2 subaru air filters one fitted one didn't,  I think it was a late 2.2 air box

I've fitted a oem diesel air intake (opposite side to petrol ones)  to bring fresh air into the filter 
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 21:13
Dead sorry im squeemish..i was really enjoying this read and then ...god i nearly threw up..man that leg looked bad..good story tho`
86 t3 doka & 2001 T4 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply