The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1.6 TD JX replacement engine (close thread please)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6 TD JX replacement engine (close thread please)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6 TD JX replacement engine (close thread please)
    Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 21:39
Hi, I am brand new on here and have picked up a 1984 T3 High top not sure about the conversion yet but she has snapped her cam belt and the engine is a right off, What is the best alternative as i want to stay with the 1,6TD 69PS but my budget is low and T3 engines with the sump seem to be Expensive can i swap for a Golf II 1.6 TD ? and still get 69PS, Open to any advice here as i would love to get her back on the road, with a lot of TLC and minimum Cash! or a anyone know of a cheap engine as i have all the ancills.

Edited by tcb71 - 14 Apr 09 at 17:35
tcb71
Chris
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 22:04
Loads of info on here on which engines fit and which don't....have a search ;)

1.6TD JX engine in the For Sale section.
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 22:25
No Probs but logistics are a pain as i am in Germany (Might say the Ideal place for parts) but twice the cost of UK, Half the wages! I am quite happy to strip and build onto another engine but i am trying to keep it as simple as posible i.e no new gearbox or ali welding etc. I have seen all the threads for the AAZ and i just wondering what is the best alternative to bolt the JX bits on and stick back in the hole without the engineering problems. one in one out
tcb71
Chris
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 22:31

Sorry Steve losing myself trying to run before i can walk, i will have a good look around the site first but i don't really want to upgrade. just want an engine that fits!

tcb71
Chris
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 22:34
I can get a Golf II 1.6 TD but it is only 44KW / 60ps not the 51KW / 69PS?
tcb71
Chris
taffs2win View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffs2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 09 at 22:53
Not sure what the differences are between the two engines.  Can anyone confirm what the differences are and whether you could repair your original engine by using parts from the other engine.

Have you had the head off your engine to see what is damaged?  We have done an AAZ conversion for the same reason as you on our 1700.  My local garage suggested I could put on a new cambelt and check if the engine turned over by hand before firing it up to see how it runs.  For the cost of the cambelt you could try this.
Now to fit an oil cooler for peace of mind.
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 09 at 18:40
Cheers taffs2win i havent stripped the engine yet but will have a look at it next week. I think i will hold all options open at the moment The engine is out so there is a gap for some ideas. a possible upgrade to the 1.9td is no longer out of the question. The only problem is i am on a low budget and in germany. If i were in the UK it seems a bit easier to get the spares so many vans out here its a competative market for anything to do with T3/T3's. So Until the head is off i am in limbo!
tcb71
Chris
taffs2win View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffs2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 09 at 19:22
Chris

Hope it works out for you.  Any problems you will get plenty of advice through the forum.  Between everyone who writes in, most things have been done regarding Tee Threes.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 09 at 20:02
^^  WHS

get the head off and report back private tcb71

(and thats an order Wink)
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 09 at 19:20
Planning on starting tomorrow Think i have taken on a bit much but i will share some pics of the van i saved soon. Don't know that much about the van at the moment but learning fast. Hopefully will get some extra info when pics are posted from a few of the yardie's on here. Ordes recieved watch this space. if i am in the wrong forum let me know and i may start a diary to how the van gets back on the road.
tcb71
Chris
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 09 at 22:49

Ok Made a start and finished no where near where i expected! I removed the engine and took off the rocker cover only. the camshaft had broken in three so i expected the worst seems the valves are a bit worse for wear but the cylinder heads seem OK! so searched for new parts but found a replacement engine with 140000km on the clock and new Cambelt fitted cheaper. the replacement engine is now fitted with a few more bits and pieces to be done before turning her over. Looks like she will ride again soon!

tcb71
Chris
tcb71 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 17:31
She runs, She runs, she moves, she moves!New engine runs smooth what a bargain. bit of cosmetics and ready for the weekends and weeks ahead.
Thanks for all your support on this thread it can noew be closed.

Chris.
tcb71
Chris
taffs2win View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffs2win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 18:42
Good on yer!!  Hope you drive many happy miles.Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply