The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fridge Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srmoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 11 at 08:45
Hi, great string going.  My fridge problem is that when driving one hot day I turned it off at the control panel and couldn't turn it back on.  The snowflake icon went out and the temperature shows "---C".  Also the freshwater level indicator icon went out.  I haven't tried to hard wire it to the battery yet. 
Any suggestions?
Tim
PS: This was our first hot weather trip in this '95 t4.  Fridge was working well for about three days. It probably could use a refigerant charge too. 
Srmoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srmoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 11 at 06:44
I figured it out.  A blue wire had come loose from the temperature sensor inside the cool box.  I removed some plastic from around the single copper wire, soldered it back to the blue wire and presto, fridge works fine.  Tried it out this weekend and has been running for the past 48 hours.  Thumbs Up
redlyne_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlyne_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 15 at 17:19
Just bumping this thread, 
I've got a 92 Canadian eurovan westfalia which is similar to the California in the UK. The compressor turns on then beeps and shuts off, then repeats. The fridge was getting cold and no longer does. Has anyone fixed this? I see people posting about replacing the control unit, just want to confirm that's what my issue might be. 

thanks

redlyne_mr2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlyne_mr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 15 at 16:34
just an update, ordered a new control module,lets see if that fixes it, where is the control module located?
Erik Forsstrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Forsstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 16 at 15:09

My California Camper 92 with an Electrolux RC 1140 would only start and run for a few seconds before it shut itself down. It would then beep regularly once every minute as long as the fridge was turned on.  

I followed the steps in this german tutorial and verified that my fridge did not get enough voltage. It varied around 0.1-1A and it is supposed to be 4.5A

http://www.westfaliat4.info/WestfaliaT4CompessorFridgeControlWM.pdf

Fortunately this is a very easy fix by ordering a replacement control BD 102N3017 unit from Wemo:

http://wemo.ch/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=219&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64&vmcchk=1&Itemid=64

Start by removing the screw located on the floor rail that stops the back seat from being pulled all the way to the front. Move the back seat all the way towards the front seats to expose the service hatch to the fridge.

Remove the two screws holding the service hatch and pull out the hatch from the bottom with the metal grill. See page 70 & 77 in this excellent manual: http://www.westfaliat4.info/1991_VW_T4_CaliforniaAndMultivan_RepairManual.pdf

Rewire the replacement unit when the fridge is turned off and you have unplugged the main contact to the fridge that can be located under and to the right of the shelf.

My fridge works as new and the beers will get cold. Good luck.

VicWesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VicWesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 16 at 21:08
Hi.
I have the same 1992 Westy and am experiencing the same fridge issues. I've been reading all sorts of forums to try and determine the problem. Did your purchasing of a new controller fix the problem?
Thanks! 

1992 Westfalia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Forsstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 16 at 08:54
Hi VicWesty,

Could you please describe your exact problem?
VicWesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VicWesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 16 at 17:00
Hi Erik. Thanks for the response. My problem is what others have mentioned...fridge recently stopped cooling, runs through a cycle of whirring, stopping, long beep, whirring. Yesterday, I unplugged the 6 prong plug for a 1/2 hour or so and it worked again for a while, only to return to its wicked ways. 
I was hoping to find someone in Canada with a similar problem, so I could follow in their footsteps for buying replacement parts. So far, not getting much insight locally. 

Does this sound similar to your issue? Thank for your pics and explanation for getting to the fancy parts of the fridge. 
Glenn
1992 Westfalia

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Forsstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 16 at 09:47
Hi Glenn. Yes, your problems seems very similar. For me the beeping would occur at a regular interval and  the cooling would not work. Have you tried to follow the steps from the German tutorial .pdf that I posted to verify the current?

If this is the case, it is very likely that it is the control unit that is causing the problems. 
VicWesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VicWesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 16 at 21:31
Hi.
I tried the 7 second hold and scroll down to the snowflake, but all it gave me was 'C8'. I don't know what that indicates. 
1992 Westfalia
Amos Quito View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 18 at 16:56
Bit the bullet and replaced the T4 westy chest fridge. Read 'fix-it' articles from all over, weighed up the age of the fridge and the gamble in just replacing bits and decided on a brand new unit from Gunzl. Delivered in under a week - thank heavens for the Germans! I will never quite justify the cost when you compare it to a normal domestic fridge but hey-ho.
A few notes on the installation:
My old unit was mounted on the base to a solid bracket fitted to the floor. The new unit is fitted at the side so new holes need to be drilled through the cabinet under the cooker - NB the new unit is about 1 inch shorter so I fitted a couple of pieces of ply to the top of the floor bracket. You do NOT need to dismantle the lid and hinges from the van body (I did and it is a cnut to get back) you do need to take the stainless bracket off of the left top side (bolts go through into the wardrobe) - tie up the lid and the hinge bracket out of the way, take off the stainless cover strip, the table slide rail and the top and lower panels and their brackets - there are also 2 hidden screws in the under cooker cupboard door frame. The new RC1140-01 fridge does not need the 2 ducts fitted to the old unit and to the now redundant holes in the floor.
The new fridge is in, working and I am looking forward to cold beers this summer. An added bonus is that the fridge control panel is now working properly and showing the battery levels.
Sorry no pictures but it is pretty straight forward as even I managed it.
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
My Link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123