The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

making a roofrack fit a high-top?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making a roofrack fit a high-top?
    Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 11:45
might be getting a roofrack off a tin-top LT for a good price, but want to make the legs longer to i can fit it to my high-top van.

I'm a total welding novice (bought a 105a mig welder on a whim a couple of years ago but havent really used it properly yet), so the question is... how difficult would this be to do as my 1st welding project? the roofrack is a full length jobby with 12 supporting legs.

Edited by MostlyMonki - 26 Feb 09 at 11:48
"LT Massive"
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 15:39
Its a great way to start.if its made of box section find another length of wider box to slip over the joint, butt weld your extension on grind back the weld till its flat slide the wider box over the jion and weld both ends this will give the srongest possible joint even if your weldings not brill. If its tube you can do the same thing and cleand up it will look ok. It also gives you good practice on something that isnt to thin which is much more difficult when you start
Terry

Edited by thal - 26 Feb 09 at 15:40
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 15:50
cheers, will probably give it a go in that case. my biggest worry about it is making sure the legs stay at the correct angle while I'm welding them on... i suppose if i just cut the "feet" off, and weld the extensions in completely verticle then that should do itConfused
"LT Massive"
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 16:41
Weld on your extensions inline with the originals the make a v cut with hacksaw or grinder on the inside of the bend at the top. Then bend the leg to the correct angle and weld the cut back up, do the front and back ones use those to realine the others, this will mean the rack looks like it was made for a hitop and not adapted
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 16:54
ahh good idea, thanks!
"LT Massive"
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 19:57
Do you get the impression Ive done this before
mr sly View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr sly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 23:46

i got this on mine, under every high top, is a cut out tin top, so its got the solid to fix to
mine has a ladder that goes on the back door too when the doors are closed it is very very sturdy i keep gas on the roof and bikes  kyacks or whatever its all strong and sturdy up there and well supported all round.

Edited by mr sly - 15 Apr 09 at 23:51
 Post Reply Post Reply