The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camper ? - Scribing New Panels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper ? - Scribing New Panels
    Posted: 20 Feb 09 at 21:29
Hi Folks,

Looking to replace the interior of my camper and need advice on how to scribe the new panels. Can't use the old ones cos they were destroyed when I installed the 120L LPG tank.

All idea's welcome and appreciated.

Cheers

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 09 at 23:32
Hello Andy 

Just joined this forum....  I've had LTs for a while and recently got some really useful info for mechanical stuff....  so...  I do a bit of woodwork for a living and I'm currently fitting out my van using birch ply in a kind of airstream inspired way...ie. lots of unnecessary but, hopefully, kind of groovy looking curves...  lots of scribing involved.  

So...   about scribing...

If possible avoid it...   can you do a rough cut and hide it with something else?  Putting things together in a cunning order can save lots of work.

If unavoidable there are two main methods.  The first method works when you can get the panel (or a test/template if you're not confident) that you're scribing, parallel to the surface you're scribing to.... If you can do this then place/clamp the panel as close as you can to the scribe surface,  measure how far away from it's final position the panel is... cut a stick to this length....  hold a pencil at one end and slide the other end down the face you're scribing to... keep the stick parallel to the direction you're going to move the panel to get it to fit and you should get a line on your panel which follows the shape your trying to cut to.  It's best to do a rough cut first and then repeat the process with a shorter stick.  Having a stick which is pointed at the end that follows the shape and V shaped at the pencil end can help.  If you're following a nice smooth curve use this method to get close then use a small block rather than a stick...

The second method is needed when your panel needs to be scribed on two faces....  I'm not sure if what I've already written makes much sense without some pictures.....  sadly adding pictures is beyond my ken at the moment...   describing more complex scribes without sketching is probably impossible so I suggest you google for "tick stick"....  this is basically a technique where you have a stick which you use to make marks on a template which is then used to transfer them back onto the work piece....   used a lot in boat fitting, which...  if you think about it is not that dissimilar to van fitting....

One last handy hint...  do the scribes first...  ie. if you have a panel with a scribed edge and some straight edges.  start with an oversized board...   cut you're scribe and then do the easier straight cuts.

Hope this helps....  Steve

LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 09 at 09:48
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.
Might well get back to you on the second method, but need to master the first one before I go for anything fancy.

Should get a chance later this week to give it a go, and see how quickly I can convert an 8*4 into a 2*2.

Cheers

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 15:32
i have a vague memory of seeing a tool for tracing the outline of an irregular surface, for marking & cutting.  it was years ago tho' and i've no idea what the hell it was called - nor have i been able to find anything by googling.

basically it looked kinda like this:

just a long parrallel array of metal pins, in a plastic sleeve, which held them tightly aligned, but they where still free to slide back and forwards with a bit of pressure.

you pushed the edge of this tool against whatever irregular surface you wanted to take an outline of  [the grey thing on the right, in my fab diagram below] and the pins were pushed along inside the sleeve, so they ended up forming the outline of the object, which you could then trace onto whatever you wanted to cut:

anyone got any idea what i'm on about here?.... or did i just dream this gadget up after a night on the sauce?  - if the latter,  please treat the above diagrams as copyright establishing  blueprints Big smile
roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 20:27
B&Q or other DIY shed would do one of these...  there Ok for small stuff like mouldings but a bit gimmicky.   It's basically the stick and pencil thing but with lots of little sticks all side by side.  Another way to scribe small detailed shapes is with a compass set like you had at school.  run the point down the shape and the pencil down your board. Just remember to keep it all parallel.  Easy really.......

If you really want a gauge you can get one here

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Gauges--Miscellaneous-208089.htm
LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 20:48
aha! - a 'profile gauge' - that's what it's called.  i knew i'd seen one before somewhere.  mind you, i 'spose you'd need one about three feet long to be any use profiling the innards of a van.

Post Reply Post Reply