The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aged Hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi
    Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 15:38
Not good at this forum malarky but here goes, probably got it wrong, so apologies in advance. I have been lurking around the forum for quite a while and picking up tips and points of interest to assist me in my repairs to my LT 31 which will take place once all the snow has gone here in Switzerland. It is a company conversion, the wood and general interior are all there just tired and need some kindness shown as does most of the van. Paid too much due to enthusiasm to realise a dream  but please dont ask as too embarressed. The only thing that I can say in mitigation is that it is not just for christmas.
Sorry to go on. I have two questions and an offer.

Q1 In the manuals that I have looked at (Kindly supplied by people from the forum) it shows the diesel fuel filters as the screw on type. But the manual is from 1982 and my van has one screw on type and one with the two pipes that you disconnect the fuel inlet and outlet from. Anything tips on what to look out for with this type?

Q2 I have an on board water heater. I think I should have drained this over the winter but maybe only one of the things I missed.

Offer. I have a VW parts manual from 1980 that I bought about 10 years ago (hows that for dreaming about something and not buying it) wondered if it would be of interest to load up and make available to all.

LT 31 2.4D (non turbo)
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 16:06
Hi, You are no the only one who paid the van too much due to enthusiasm....anyway...
For the water heater go and check it out as soon as possible as all the water has probably become ice and would break it.
For the fuel filter, the screw on type should be the water trap while the other one is the fuel filter. Those pipes are for a sort of fuel preheating but are often cause of air entering in the fuel lines. If you can change it with the srew on type (but not another water trap).
My filters are all of the screw on type.

Thank you very much for your offer, but since I do not know that manual I can't say nothing, may be someone else?

Edited by Dedo - 14 Feb 09 at 16:07
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 17:09
Originally posted by Dedo Dedo wrote:

....Those pipes are for a sort of fuel preheating but are often cause of air entering in the fuel lines...

can you elaborate a bit more on this, dedo?  i'm having air in fuel line probs at the minute and was wondering if there was some kind of leak due to a weird plastic plug thing in the top of my fuel filter that disnae seem to be exactly air-tight.  is that what you're referring to here?  i posted a piccie in this thread [about halfway down the page]
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 17:47
Yes Madra, it's exactly that. It has happened to a Friend's T4. If you can find the attachment for the other type of filter at a scrapyard they are perfectly interchangeable with the advantage that on the next renewal of the filter you will save some money too cause the screw on type is less costly.

In my LT air was entering from the connection of the eberspacher fuel pump.
Aged Hippy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aged Hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 17:54
mine is not exactly like that. there are only two pipes connected to it and there is a small bleed screw on it. There seems to be some sort of clip on the top that mine does not have.
LT 31 2.4D (non turbo)
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 18:07
is that the one in the engine bay, or the one under the wheel arch you're talking about?  there are two filters. the wheel arch one - with the drain plug - is more of a water trap.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aged Hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 18:20
Its the one in the engine bay. The water trap under the wheel arch is just a normal screw on type.
LT 31 2.4D (non turbo)
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 18:24
sounds like someone has previously replaced yours with a 'normal' fuel filter then. lucky you - one less thing to leak air in, from what i'm hearing!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aged Hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 18:31
I think you have hit the nail on the head. What I would call a 'normal' one is the one shown in the manuals which is a screw on one. But my filter has two small pipe and a bleed screw in the top. I am just a little worried that when I come to change it I cant fill it with diesel to lessen the chance of air getting in to the rest of the system.
LT 31 2.4D (non turbo)
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 19:16
when mine was refusing to start due to shitloads of air in the system, i disconnected the input pipe from the filter, connected a rubber tube to the filter in its place and and topped up the filter that way, using a funnel and a jerrican of diesel.  it took about half a pint of diesel until it filled the filter and started backing up the tube again.  bit of a PITA but at least it got the filter primed.  

i still think it's weird that the bosch injector pumps fitted to these vans have no manual priming lever to help you pump air out of the system.  so you've either got loosen off your injector nozzles and turn the engine over for several minutes to try and  clear all the air in the system [and risk burning out your starter motor in the process] or resort to my rubber tube and funnel trick. 

did VW not consider the possibility that people might occasionally want to change their filters and would therefore need to be able to easily prime their fuel systems? - or am i missing something really obvious here?
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aged Hippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 19:31
The idea I was going to go with was to fit it and then loosen the bleed screw and then turn it over until all the air was replaced by diesel. But you have certainly made me pause to think again thanks.

LT 31 2.4D (non turbo)
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 09 at 08:52
When changing the fuel filter I always simply filled it with clean diesel and screwed on, and never had a problem. Similarly, when draining water, loose the bleeding screw on the top and the draining plug at the bottom. If you carry out this operation regularly (about 5.000km) the water drained is not too much and there is no need to refill the filter with diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply