The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bonnet catch wont work! HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmoscaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bonnet catch wont work! HELP!
    Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 17:51
bloody bonnet catch wont work on my van!!!!Angry obviously something up under the bonnet but need to open the bugger before i can fix it any ideas?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 18:43
Try this- Get somebody to hold the bonnet release in the 'pulled' position while you pull up on the bonnet from the outside.  If that doesen't work try a few presses on the bonnet (not too hard because you can dent the bonnet).    
2004 2.5 174
simmoscaff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmoscaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 19:01
tried that no luck, any other ideas?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 19:16
Try it again!   And be sure to pull that bonnet catch from the inside as hard as you dare.  Beacause if that doesn't work you will have to release the catch from underneath or through the grille which will not be easy or might even be impossible.  If you are not that familliar with the way the catch works a local garage or the RAC etc would be a better bet to avoid any unnecessary damage.  Good luck!

Edited by T5 TDI - 30 Jan 09 at 19:51
2004 2.5 174
simmoscaff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simmoscaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 20:23
got to it from under the engine (long arms lol) the clip on the cable that works the mechanism had come off sorted now though put it back in and wapped a cable tie on it so it wont happen again!!!!
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 09 at 13:37
Same thing happen to me and took 4 hours to fix it.

On right hand drive T5's the bonnet release cable is not held on very well and can easily come off.

I recommend to all T5 owners that you should put a cable tie around it to prevent it coming off as when it does it is a nightmare to get up inside the bonnet to reattach it.

Edited by borg - 04 Feb 09 at 13:37
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 09 at 16:06
Originally posted by borg borg wrote:

On right hand drive T5's the bonnet release cable is not held on very well and can easily come off.

I recommend to all T5 owners that you should put a cable tie around it to prevent it coming off as when it does it is a nightmare to get up inside the bonnet to reattach it.

Bit more detail needed here mate, exactly where does it detach itself and where do we put the ties?
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 09 at 00:13
Originally posted by Berisford Berisford wrote:

Originally posted by borg borg wrote:

Bit more detail needed here mate, exactly where does it detach itself and where do we put the ties?

Ditto (please).  I looked at mine last time this issue was raised (some time ago), and I couldn't see any way that the cable was going to come adrift on mine (not even with me wiggling it around).  Maybe some vans are different to others ?
donaldmac View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donaldmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 09 at 20:30
This happened to mejust before the christmas break. The end fitting had popped out from the bottom of the bonnet release. I made up a little bracket which hooks under the bonnet catch and up to its top mounting bolt. I will try to get a picture if someone wants to see!
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 09 at 11:25
I wouldn`t mind a dekko Don, whenever you get a minute. I think the same as Greg, had a look but can`t see how it can come out?
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 09 at 17:08
On mine the end of the bonnet cable is a metal ball that simply slots into the bonnet catch with a plastic clip holding it in place.

If you grab the bonnet cable and push it away from you to wards the engine the plastic clip can easy come of and the cable with the ball just drops out of it's slot.

I have an 04 plate T5. It maybe that allot of people had the same issue so they changed the design on later models.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 09 at 13:36
I had another go at mine - with a bit more force it did just pop out (towards the motor as borg said).  I couldn't see a good way of securing it with a cable tie, so I just stuck it down with a piece of fibre-reinforced duct tape over the top.  I'm pretty sure it won't come out now.  Mine is a late 2005 build.

Thanks for the advice.
T4withIssues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4withIssues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 17 at 07:27
I couldn't get the pan off and the radiator was fully in the way so I got creative with a piano hinge (bendable but stiff enough to put force on the latch) and made a bit of a z-bend and felt around with the end of it until I hit the spring and then fished a bit further for the latch plate piece and pushed hard against it and voila it popped open. 10 minutes tops and no damage to anything and no putting my fist through the side window fiddling with that bottom plate getting it off and on again.
 Post Reply Post Reply