The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to take steering wheel off ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to take steering wheel off ?
    Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 17:04

Hey everyone.  

Long story short, I've lost the key to the "claw" thing on my steering wheel.  Searched everywhere, so now the easiest solution (I assume) would be to take the steering wheel off and replace it.  I just can't believe this is happening, but until then the van is grounded.  

Any ideas would be appreciated... 

R.

Edited by rossfromfriends - 30 Jan 09 at 17:05
caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 09 at 03:00
Just pay a local chav a fiver to get it off for you?!?!?Wink

Seriously if you can at least get it off you'll be able to clamp it and get an angle grinder to it. However I was under the impression that those things were a waste of money and could be taken off in 30secs if you know what to do!!!

Just had a google and found this >  http://www.ehow.com/how_2339900_break-steering-wheel-lock.html in theory it should work if you use the "air" in a can as they can drop the temp quite quickly (I cracked the perspex in my computer case using one for about 5 secs!!). They are only about £3 from Maplins.

Good luck!!

PS Might be interesting to video it if you can!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 00:39
Are u in the AA etc, they must do this sort of thing regularly
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 10:11
Here are a some ways to remove the lock Ive used in the past.
drill out the lock start with a small hole and get bigger till you remove all the barrel then it should retract with a good smack
method 2 drill through the bar itself drill enough to weaken it so you can bend it to pull it out
method 3 push a scissor jack between the hook and the bar wind out the jack enough to remove claw this is the quietest method.
good luck
Terry
rossfromfriends View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 12:30
A call to Green Flag and some brute force got it off.  Stupid thing, think I'm going to rig a kill switch in somewhere instead.  Anyways, back on the road... 
doggyc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 09 at 16:02
Originally posted by rossfromfriends rossfromfriends wrote:

A call to Green Flag and some brute force got it off.  Stupid thing, think I'm going to rig a kill switch in somewhere instead.  Anyways, back on the road... 
taken my steering wheel off and put it in a brick shed with a steel gate that has a  mortise lock fitted Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply