The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

auto box to manual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobsy197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: auto box to manual
    Posted: 23 Jan 09 at 20:35
hi there does anyone know how much work it is to convert from auto box to a manual, im fitting a scooby lump and would idealy like a manual box,
Any info would be greatfully appreciated
       Thanks Rich
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 09 at 22:07
Relatively straight forward change over of parts. Remove all auto linkage and g/box including selector in cab. Than get from a donor van all manual bits and bolt in. Probably a good few hours work but fairly straight forward if you have all the manual bits. Going scooby myself but sticking with my auto as it is so much nicer to cruise with I think. Good luck.
HOT 1200 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOT 1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 16:23
My mate has a Scooby fitted to his bus, its AUTO and goes great, so perhaps dont be to keen to change out the Auto box without doing some more reasearch.???

Gav

Bigger is not always better!
hobsy197 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobsy197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 21:36
Did your mate have to do anything to the auto box, or just using a standard factory box?
andycaddock View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycaddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 18:34
sorry to jump on, but interested also
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 20:57
You use the standard vw box as it is a very strong auto box. All you need to modify is the governor  to allow the g/box to change at higher revs as the subaru engines rev much higher than a wasserboxer. Simply job and then ox will change at 3-3500 or can grind more off to increase this.
Lambretta Mark View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 19:50

Our mate hasnt found that neccessary,as he found that it goes just fine as it is. I must say that I agree,it does go just fine as it is . The drive is quiet and smooth,changes gear fine and in good time.

Flat out with a flat four- Subaru powered of course!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 21:11
Sound, roughly what rpm does it change up gears?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 09 at 17:23
Dunno, the motor belongs to Flightpath. Goes well enough though. Try it first as it is and see if you need to touch the govenor or not I recon.
southern scouse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southern scouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 09 at 15:53
if you take out the auto box let me know what you are doing with the driveshafts as i need both for my auto  cheeers
tomjacbus
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 09 at 18:51
I know a fella who would be interested in the box.
hobsy197 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobsy197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 09 at 21:00
Thanks, i think i will try the auto box for now and will let you know what i reckon.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 09 at 22:39
Makes sense fellaThumbs Up
hobsy197 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobsy197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 09 at 18:34
just had an email back from rjes and he says that with the adapter plate it puts the whole engine back 16mm, making the mounts not line up did anyone else have this problem, if so how do you get round it??
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambretta Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 09 at 23:09
Buy the adaptor plate,the downpipe and the engine mount bar from Kenedy in the States.
Thats where mine came from although mine is a manual the problem remains the same and is easily sorted by buying it all from the same place.

flightpath View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flightpath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 09 at 14:00
Best thing to do is Go all American on the Auto Conversion.
Unfortunately Richards Parts are not set up around the Auto Conversion.
Where as In the USA the majority of Vans are Auto and there are many many hundreds already converted over the years.
Have a look at my thread on the Auto Conversion.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14532

Also ring Hobart Kennedy in the states as they are very helpful.
At the moment you are at a disadvantage with the exchange rate!!
REMEMBER MY TIP: ALWAYS WHERE POSSIBLE STICK TO ONE MANUFACTURER OF CONVERSIONS PARTS.
By remembering that then it should all fit together like a glove.
 Post Reply Post Reply